News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A new sort of "game"

Started by dtq123, May 19, 2015, 08:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

How about if I give a video(s) on a philosopher and you tell me your opinions on certain viewpoints on this, can thus can discuss.

I want us to become better people, and a way that I think we can is becoming more open to discuss our ideas in a fairly rational sense... And perhaps rationality shall pass on to the next generation in some way.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

If its longer than 60 seconds I ain't watching it. Not that I have better things to do, or that I am easily distracted but I
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

dtq123

Quote from: aitm on May 19, 2015, 08:55:30 PM
If its longer than 60 seconds I ain't watching it. Not that I have better things to do, or that I am easily distracted but I
Note Taken, I can manage with short videos.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

Quote from: dtq123 on May 19, 2015, 08:46:10 PM
How about if I give a video(s) on a philosopher and you tell me your opinions on certain viewpoints on this, can thus can discuss.

I want us to become better people, and a way that I think we can is becoming more open to discuss our ideas in a fairly rational sense... And perhaps rationality shall pass on to the next generation in some way.
Go for it if that's what you want to do.  A brief assessment of their ideas could make for a good discussion.

But yeah, like aitm said, being concise and to the point is key.  Less is more.  K.I.S.S.  Etc.

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on May 19, 2015, 08:55:30 PM
aitm often nods off--so treat him kindly.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2015, 09:06:28 PM
aitm often nods off--so treat him kindly.
don't make me get off this couch!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

dtq123

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2015, 09:02:30 PM
Go for it if that's what you want to do.  A brief assessment of their ideas could make for a good discussion.

But yeah, like aitm said, being concise and to the point is key.  Less is more.  K.I.S.S.  Etc.
Done  :smile:
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hydra009

I forgot to ask:  what philosopher(s)?

dtq123

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2015, 09:13:56 PM
I forgot to ask:  what philosopher(s)?
Any! Would you like to volunteer one for me to find? Or would you bring a video yourself if you could? Even not, I have good videos for discussion, and maybe some on the topic you're looking for. (Maybe)
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

Hey--how about the topic of---the philosophical impact of the New York Yankees on the American society?  That would be a great topic!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

dtq123

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 19, 2015, 09:44:04 PM
Hey--how about the topic of---the philosophical impact of the New York Yankees on the American society?  That would be a great topic!
Nice joke, but no... I want this to be a bit more of a serious game. One with no loss sure, but almost infinite gain.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

I'm ready.  Hey----wait, wait..............The Yankees are no joke!  Well, maybe this year, but not historically!

dtq123

I'm going to start round one:
It's not short or simple, so find time when you can, don't rush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfXdNIolQA
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mike Cl

So, you want to be a frustrator, eh?  So, the message is--we have free will but we can't use it freely.  Okay.  I think that has been talked about on some threads here.  And I agree.  We don't have what is classically thought of as free will.  We can make some choices, but not as many as we may think.  We are controlled and influenced by many, many factors.  Depending upon the person, because each of us is  a unique collection of chemicals.  How those chemicals interact and how our physical makeup controls or doesn't control those chemicals, determines much of our actions.  Saying we have no ability to make choices or that we have total control of our choices is wrong.  We each have a differing ability to make choices in various situations.  So, yes and no is a good answer.   

dtq123

Ok, due to a lack of a response, I think I either made the video too long or I didn't start the conversation well enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LqNm9d2__I
Do you think these distinctions are important in real life, or just in philosophy?
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"