News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A new sort of "game"

Started by dtq123, May 19, 2015, 08:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: dtq123 on May 25, 2015, 03:25:03 PM

Do you think these distinctions are important in real life, or just in philosophy?

They're important, but most people can go their entire life without being precise with their definitions. People do that all the time. Common speech is not precise and for the most part, insisting others who simply do not care use these terms correctly will make you come across as pedantic.

the_antithesis

Quote from: dtq123 on May 20, 2015, 06:13:15 PM
I'm going to start round one:
It's not short or simple, so find time when you can, don't rush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfXdNIolQA

I prefer to approach this the way one would a zen koan, which is you need to think six steps down the line, not just answer the immediate question.

The frustrator reminds me of the observer effect as incorrectly cited in one of the Jurassic Park movies, of all things. That the act of observing changes what is observed. Such as, that by observing wildlife to see what their natural behavior would be, your very presence alters their behavior.

A prediction that can be thwarted when the subject knows the prediction fails to take the prediction into account with the other factors. Hence why that prediction can fail.

I find the concept of this frustrator device not very interesting because it is simply a device hard wired to fail, sort of like how theists have set up their gods to always succeed. I don't find it very illustrative on the subject of free will.

What seems more interesting is the concept of predictability. Our society and technology have advanced as much as they have because we can very accurate predictions about the world. So why does this stop working when dealing with people?

Well, it doesn't, first of all. People don't still go to church or Fast and Furious movies because they have any value but because they're able to manipulate the emotions of the clueless masses and they, rather predictably, into going along with it and handing over their money.

Last time I had dinner with my family, I bet my dad that my brother would sing when I place my order. This would have worked except the asshole was sitting right next to me and heard me bet that he would sing, so he didn't. He would have if he hadn't've heard.

Will may be free but it is also predictable.

I mean, honestly. "Free will?" Free of what? All factors that would make a decision predictable? A will free of all such things would make no decisions. In that case, is it even a will?

dtq123

It's been a while, and so I give you this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzoLlL4mHlE
Do you think it is moral for people to use (concepts of at least,) BDSM for their pleasure?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

Human existence is the complicated mishmash of human imaginations ... if you can imagine it ... you have at least anticipated experiencing it.  Outside the Matrix ... you simply describe what is, not what should be.  Inside the Matrix .. you simply describe what should be, not what is.  Take both the blue and red pills.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.