News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Did you tell your religious parents?

Started by ahplshutup, May 19, 2015, 02:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 21, 2015, 06:25:14 PM
Mom seemed to think that atheism was the same thing as paganism.

Strangely enough, my mom preferred my being a Pagan to my being an atheist.  Weird.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Odoital778412

I didn't have to.  I accepted Christ at the age of 3, and began investigating the claims of Christ and the Bible between the ages of 19 and 26 in order to make it my own and decide whether I was believing the truth or a lie.  Given that I was still going to school at the time and living at home with my parents, they got to see, first hand, where my commitments lay.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Odoital778412 on May 24, 2015, 03:15:15 AM
I didn't have to.  I accepted Christ at the age of 3, and began investigating searching for ways to reinterpret the claims of Christ and the Bible between the ages of 19 and 26 in order to make it my own and decide whether I was believing the truth or a lie.  Given that I was still going to school at the time and living at home with my parents, they got to see, first hand, where my commitments lay.
So you reached a 3 year old's sense of reality and decided to keep it?

Btw. If you did actually investigate and not reinforce your delusion with confirmation bias, you must have come up with some actual observable evidence, right? You should post that right here if you did - --> http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=44.0

leo

I didn't have to.  I accepted Christ at the age of 3, and began investigating the claims of Christ and the Bible between the ages of 19 and 26 in order to make it my own and decide whether I was believing the truth or a lie.  Given that I was still going to school at the time and living at home with my parents, they got to see, first hand, where my commitments lay.
You are so full of shit. There isn't way a 3 year old has  the capacity to choose between religions.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

PickelledEggs

Quote from: leo on May 24, 2015, 08:44:36 PM
                                                                                                                                                    You are so full of shit. There isn't way a 3 year old has  the capacity to choose between religions.
I can tell you right now how often he craps and farts. Not often at all. Because THAT's how much he is full of shit.

TomFoolery

I didn't have to.  I accepted Christ at the age of 3, and began investigating the claims of Christ and the Bible between the ages of 19 and 26 in order to make it my own and decide whether I was believing the truth or a lie.

Odd, because I think I was about the same age when I started accepting Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as a reasonable figures in my life. I was about 8 or 9 when the whole shebang fell apart.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Odoital778412

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 24, 2015, 08:26:06 PM
So you reached a 3 year old's sense of reality and decided to keep it?

Btw. If you did actually investigate and not reinforce your delusion with confirmation bias, you must have come up with some actual observable evidence, right? You should post that right here if you did - --> http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=44.0
No, I was able to discern that I did bad things that I shouldn't do, and that Jesus was offering me a pardon for my behavior, so that I wouldn't have to pay for my bad behavior myself.  Therefore, I accepted Christ.  I realize that you're attempting to insult me, and I'm sorry that you feel that's necessary.  I hope that clears up your confusion.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

Odoital778412

Quote from: TomFoolery on May 24, 2015, 09:15:15 PM
Odd, because I think I was about the same age when I started accepting Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny as a reasonable figures in my life. I was about 8 or 9 when the whole shebang fell apart.
Well yeah, at that age it was the simple acceptance of a child based upon an admittedly, limited understanding.  However, I was intellectually curious, and I began a search for answers within months of graduating from High School.  There were a lot of questions that I needed answers to, and they weren't and hadn't ever been answered by going to church.

eylul

I will not tell it to my family either. They are too old and i dont want to put them in a position make them to explain to other people about me.

My family are so religious, my mom and big sister have cover on their heads, mom prays 5 times in a day and when she has free times she reads Qur'an in Arabic language. I dont want to make them shocked because of me, i dont want to make them sick neither. And my dad ofcourse, he prays 5 times in a day and always goes to mosque. But they could see that i am not like them. It bothers them a lot and yes sometimes they ask why. But i guess they are ok with that.

Munch

I didn't have to.  I accepted Christ at the age of 3

No you didn't. You were indoctrinated by your parents at age 3 when they forced you to believe it.

3 year olds accept anything their parents tell them, if you tell a child their next door neighbor is a living shit monster, they will believe that he is a living shit monster.

Your parents also told you about santa when you were 3 right? And yet you learned that he wasn't real years later, but before that you honestly believed he was real, because of what your parents said.

I know it must be difficult for you to see the similarity between father christmas and god, but maybe one day your figure it out.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Odoital778412

Quote from: Munch on May 26, 2015, 05:20:48 AM
No you didn't. You were indoctrinated by your parents at age 3 when they forced you to believe it.

3 year olds accept anything their parents tell them, if you tell a child their next door neighbor is a living shit monster, they will believe that he is a living shit monster.

Your parents also told you about santa when you were 3 right? And yet you learned that he wasn't real years later, but before that you honestly believed he was real, because of what your parents said.

I know it must be difficult for you to see the similarity between father christmas and god, but maybe one day your figure it out.
Actually, that's false.  I remember the conversation.  I was in my parents room, on my own bunk bed, as my room was being remodeled at the time.  My parents asked me if I wanted to accept Christ.  It was never forced, and I didn't feel forced.  I was self-consciously aware that I had done bad things, that I do bad things, and that I'll probably do bad things in the future.  I was also aware that doing bad things, if caught, will end in punishment.  Since I knew God was catching everything I did bad because He was always watching me, I knew I would either be punished or I could accept a free gift of pardon.  I chose the pardon.  I remember using a particularly childish phrase when praying for Jesus to come in and vacuum out my heart, meaning essentially make me righteous or good by way of your sacrifice for my sins.  So no, I actually remember the events quite clearly.

I don't recall my parents ever really telling me about Santa or going out of their way to build up the big myth.  I sort of picked that up from the culture and all of the shows on TV.  My parents didn't go out of their way to dispel it either, as they probably figured that I'd eventually figure out that it was just a story, which I did.  And personally, I see no analogous relationship between the two.  I realize that you see one, but that's likely the result misunderstanding, lack of appropriate knowledge, or refusal/denial.  Your disbelief of Santa probably doesn't stem from the same area.

Odoital778412

Quote from: trdsf on May 23, 2015, 07:54:40 PM
Strangely enough, my mom preferred my being a Pagan to my being an atheist.  Weird.
Isn't Paganism a bit more hopeful and positive than atheism?  Atheists aren't monolithic of course, but if they are genuine materalists, then you're pretty much left with a deterministic and nihilistic world.  For people that know, perceive or just sense that, it can be pretty depressing.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Odoital778412 on May 26, 2015, 03:43:02 AM
No, I was able to discern that I did bad things that I shouldn't do, and that Jesus was offering me a pardon for my behavior, so that I wouldn't have to pay for my bad behavior myself.  Therefore, I accepted Christ.  I realize that you're attempting to insult me, and I'm sorry that you feel that's necessary.  I hope that clears up your confusion.
It's less of an insult and more of me pointing out that you still live in a 3 year old's fairy-tale reality. The hilarity of that is just a bonus.

Sent from your mom.

Aupmanyav

By the time that I became an confirmed atheist, I was say about 40, so no hesitation in presenting my views. My father and before that my grandfather, who was a Sanskrit scholar also held scientific views; So, we always used to discuss. But I am not anti-religious, remain a Hindu, sticking to the traditions. Advaita (non-duality) philosophy allows me this freedom.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Mike Cl

Quote from: eylul on May 26, 2015, 05:14:19 AM
I will not tell it to my family either. They are too old and i dont want to put them in a position make them to explain to other people about me.

My family are so religious, my mom and big sister have cover on their heads, mom prays 5 times in a day and when she has free times she reads Qur'an in Arabic language. I dont want to make them shocked because of me, i dont want to make them sick neither. And my dad ofcourse, he prays 5 times in a day and always goes to mosque. But they could see that i am not like them. It bothers them a lot and yes sometimes they ask why. But i guess they are ok with that.
I think you are wise--even beyond your years.  Your beliefs are your beliefs and no need to use it as a club.  It would serve no purpose other than causing pain.  I commend you for your stance.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?