News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

10 Commandments for JohnnyB

Started by Mike Cl, May 14, 2015, 11:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Paul was correct in saying that the commandments are impossible to follow, both the 613 and the 10 ... or even the Golden Rule.  He tried to come up with a reason for this, that he explained in his Epistle to the Romans (actually Jews living in Rome).  That the whole point is to draw a line in the sand, with a system that can't be fully obeyed ... so that people will feel guilty enough that they will start loving each other, for lack of anything better to do.  I like Paul's conclusion ... even if the subsequent Jewish-Roman wars went totally against his hopes.  With Paul's paean to love, I don't even need Jesus' words.  What Paul was saying, in the body of Jesus ... is that that body is the body of believers, not some historical folk rabbi.  Again, it helps to know the language ... Jesus is Aramaic for the Hebrew, Yehoshua (Joshua) ... which means, "G-d Saves".  It is a mantra, not a person, probably chanted originally by the Jewish congregations (Gentiles would fail to understand, as usual).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

KingJ

Quote from: Baruch on July 02, 2015, 09:39:08 AM
Paul was correct in saying that the commandments are impossible to follow, both the 613 and the 10 ... or even the Golden Rule.  He tried to come up with a reason for this, that he explained in his Epistle to the Romans (actually Jews living in Rome).  That the whole point is to draw a line in the sand, with a system that can't be fully obeyed ... so that people will feel guilty enough that they will start loving each other, for lack of anything better to do.  I like Paul's conclusion ... even if the subsequent Jewish-Roman wars went totally against his hopes.  With Paul's paean to love, I don't even need Jesus' words.  What Paul was saying, in the body of Jesus ... is that that body is the body of believers, not some historical folk rabbi.  Again, it helps to know the language ... Jesus is Aramaic for the Hebrew, Yehoshua (Joshua) ... which means, "G-d Saves".  It is a mantra, not a person, probably chanted originally by the Jewish congregations (Gentiles would fail to understand, as usual).
Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Two facts jump out at me on what Paul said here.

1. Paul HATES doing those things He does.
2. Paul use to murder Christians, Paul is NOT referring to murdering.

We are in an evil world and tempted daily with sin. We can be forgiven for giving in to venial sins. We must just be sure to hate them. Hating them leads to repentance. Mortal sins is an entirely separate issue.

So, Paul is not saying the commandments are impossible to follow. He is saying there are commandments that anger God more then others. We know this. Not all sinners were stoned to death OT.

Baruch

In my personal experience, I beg do differ ... regardless of the ontological status of Jesus' sin or not.  As a human being, not as a Christian, but as a Jew, Paul speaks to me.  But he is hard to understand, because we can't cross-examine him.  And he was as charismatic as a Siberian shaman.  I would therefore suspect his "devil" was depression, the flip side of the acting out of his manic phase.  You have superimposed the theology of Calvin, who lived 1500 years after Paul, and didn't properly understand him (especially regarding a perfect elect in this life ... the real Christians ... which is a Cathar heresy, that a Frenchman like Calvin, would have been well informed of).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.