Does anyone remember 90s rock band "Living Colour"?

Started by Brian37, March 08, 2013, 09:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

If Hendrix and Hetfield and Vernon Reid auditioned for a band I was starting I would pick Reid. Living Colour kicked ass and unfortunately was undervalued. They are most famous for "Cult Of Personality".
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

_Xenu_

Yes, I'm familiar with that song, but I didn't know who performed it until now.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Brian37

Quote from: "_Xenu_"Yes, I'm familiar with that song, but I didn't know who performed it until now.

Now you know. And I was lucky enough to see them perform at a club called the "9:30" club in Washington DC.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

billhilly

I bet that was a hell of a show.  I saw them do a live show on tv back in the day.  Reid is a monster guitar player.

To address your post about this in the other thread, I agree that Reid is a much better guitar player than Hendrix was.  Personal taste aside, Reid has better chops than Hendrix.  That said, Hendrix is much more famous than Reid because he was a pioneer.  He was the first to play rock/blues the way he did.  Even in his day he wasn't as technically accomplished as say, Hank Garland, Charlie Christian, etc. but he came up with some amazing innovations.

Chuck Berry was the same kind of deal as was Eddie Van Halen.   Nobody could believe his playing when their first album came out, now you can't go into a Guitar Center without hearing some 14 year old kid playing Eruption.  The bar keeps getting moved.

the_antithesis

Kind of weird as I was thinking about them just the other day.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "billhilly"To address your post about this in the other thread, I agree that Reid is a much better guitar player than Hendrix was.  Personal taste aside, Reid has better chops than Hendrix.  That said, Hendrix is much more famous than Reid because he was a pioneer.  He was the first to play rock/blues the way he did.  Even in his day he wasn't as technically accomplished as say, Hank Garland, Charlie Christian, etc. but he came up with some amazing innovations.
This. Hendrix has never been a legend because he was a technically savvy guitarist. IIRC he taught himself how to play by ear, upside down on a right handed guitar no less, so it's not surprising he wasn't the best technical guitarists. What he did do was innovate and experiment doing things nobody had ever thought of trying before, like messing with distortion ala the national anthem at Woodstock, and nearly every rock guitarist since then can trace among their influences directly back to him.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

billhilly

Hendrix washed out of the army's music school and that's how he ended up in the 82'd.  As for his innovations, it wasn't just distortion.  He completely reinvented the use of the double stop.  Everything Stevie Ray Vaughn did was a variation on a Hendrix theme.

Brian37

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Kind of weird as I was thinking about them just the other day.

Sample rate error and selection bias. I am quite sure the band members and their hardcore fans think of them far more frequently. Completely coincidence.

Brian37

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "billhilly"To address your post about this in the other thread, I agree that Reid is a much better guitar player than Hendrix was.  Personal taste aside, Reid has better chops than Hendrix.  That said, Hendrix is much more famous than Reid because he was a pioneer.  He was the first to play rock/blues the way he did.  Even in his day he wasn't as technically accomplished as say, Hank Garland, Charlie Christian, etc. but he came up with some amazing innovations.
This. Hendrix has never been a legend because he was a technically savvy guitarist. IIRC he taught himself how to play by ear, upside down on a right handed guitar no less, so it's not surprising he wasn't the best technical guitarists. What he did do was innovate and experiment doing things nobody had ever thought of trying before, like messing with distortion ala the national anthem at Woodstock, and nearly every rock guitarist since then can trace among their influences directly back to him.

I am not trying to take away from Hendrix. I am saying all things being equal, if Reid and Hendrix were to audition with what we know today, I would hedge my bets on Reid.

Mathias

There is no way to compare Hendrix with most modern guitarists because he influenced everyone after him. What did he do with the resources he had and with his autodidactism, today is something intangible, unless that the guitar, pedals and amps would have to be reinvented in a very radical way, and, of course, if another genius born...
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

Brian37

Quote from: "Mathias"There is no way to compare Hendrix with most modern guitarists because he influenced everyone after him. What did he do with the resources he had and with his autodidactism, today is something intangible, unless that the guitar, pedals and amps would have to be reinvented in a very radical way, and, of course, if another genius born...

Completely disagree. For the reasons I stated. IF IF IF all things are equal and both were to audition I would pick Reid way before Hendrix.

Jmpty

Vernon plays alot like Larry LaLonde, from Primus. They are both pretty good, but neither of them have done anything out of the ordinary.
???  ??

Mister Agenda

One of my favorite songs. Now it's in my head again.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jmpty

And they can't hold a candle to this guy.
http://youtu.be/hzHtb-J701c
???  ??

Brian37

Quote from: "Jmpty"Vernon plays alot like Larry LaLonde, from Primus. They are both pretty good, but neither of them have done anything out of the ordinary.

No Vernon did, but he did not get noticed.