Educational mumbo jumbo. Should home schooling be banned.

Started by 1liesalot, May 12, 2015, 05:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: trdsf on May 17, 2015, 06:45:11 PM
Oh, sure - but that's why I mentioned online home instruction.  Granted, it's as shitty as any other charter school, but at least it's a program of some sort.
I don't know if it will make a difference how well they understand the subjects. The fact that they are home with parents that are influencing them with their beliefs is the main thing. Even if they are influencing them intentionally or unintentionally. The fact that they are around their religious parents more than other people and not exposed to other views as much as other people is the thing that I believe is the problem.

Sent from your mom.

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 17, 2015, 06:49:35 PM
I don't know if it will make a difference how well they understand the subjects. The fact that they are home with parents that are influencing them with their beliefs is the main thing. Even if they are influencing them intentionally or unintentionally. The fact that they are around their religious parents more than other people and not exposed to other views as much as other people is the thing that I believe is the problem.
It partly addresses the question of academics; granted, it does nothing about mom standing behind the kid saying, "Oh, you just answer it the way those godless freaks want it so you can pass, but we know the real Bah-bull trewth".  And it's an available solution for parents who want or need to home-school for non-religious reasons.  My point is that in many areas, it's not necessary for the parents to do the schooling themselves if they want to keep their children home for non-loony reasons.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan