Educational mumbo jumbo. Should home schooling be banned.

Started by 1liesalot, May 12, 2015, 05:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

A recent court case was brought against two homeschooling parents who decided their children didn't need an education because the kids would definitely be Raptured before they reached graduation age. So there was no point, they said. And apparently, there are now two million kids being home-schooled and most of have been pulled out of school on religious grounds.

A few years ago, home schooling was illegal in the majority of states and this was for a reason. The state has a responsibility to see to it that it's citizens have a half decent education.

Shouldn't this whole thing be stopped (or better regulated at least)? If I'd been home-schooled, I would have resented the holy shit out of it as soon as I was old enough to realize what a massive disadvantage I would be at in adulthood. Either that or I would be an ignorant evolution denier driving an SUV and waiting for a massive vacuum cleaner to come down and suck me up because of my righteousness. Neither prospect is particularly attractive.

What should be done?

AllPurposeAtheist

There were other motivations for home schooling other than religious based bullshit.. Lots of kids received little or no education in some school districts and many were high crime areas. I know several people who were home schooled who turned out pretty good and got great educations,, but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any real standard to determine if the parents are actually bothering to teach kids anything.. It seems to be "I can raise my kids to be just as fucking stupid as I want and nobody can say otherwise." going on under the  pretence  of teaching them the way of GAWD..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I think in our secular society home schooling should be unlawful for the reasons it was originally. Also, schools get subsidies from the government based on how many students they have, so homeschooling are causing our public schools to not have enough money to survive. And the voucher programs take away money from the public schools also. You can thank the Bush administration for this with his BS no children left behind. We are so behind in science education compared to other countries that the Chinese and even India are taking high tech jobs away from us. We are destroying public schools by teachers having low wages and wonder why good qualified teachers are leaving. Private schools don't even need teachers with degrees. We wonder why kids turn to crime, when they know they won't be able to get well paying jobs even when they get out of even college. When I went to Ireland and the Netherlands I couldn't believe how far ahead of us they were with technology and science.  :wall:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

But but but This is Murika and we have GAWD on our side.. No need for edumakashun..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SkyChief

Quote from: 1liesalot on May 12, 2015, 05:39:10 PM

Shouldn't this whole thing be stopped (or better regulated at least)?

What should be done?

Home schooling is not for everyone. But it should be an option for responsible parents who recognise their child(ren) would be better suited in a home school environment. 

My niece was yanked out of the Public School in 2nd grade. Her parents (and her teacher) realized she was reading at a 4th grade level, and that keeping her in (public) school would only hinder her academic growth.

My niece just turned 16, and she is currently attending University.

What should be done?

Nothing.  Contrary to what the  progressives believe, it does NOT take a village to raise a child.  It takes two devoted and responsible parents to do that.  And sometimes it involves home schooling.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."    - Albert Einstein

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 13, 2015, 03:11:14 PM
But but but This is Murika and we have GAWD on our side.. No need for edumakashun..
Gawd has relatives that can't get into any college that doesn't have "Baptist" in the name.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Givemeareason

Quote from: 1liesalot on May 12, 2015, 05:39:10 PM

A recent court case was brought against two homeschooling parents who decided their children didn't need an education because the kids would definitely be Raptured before they reached graduation age. So there was no point, they said. And apparently, there are now two million kids being home-schooled and most of have been pulled out of school on religious grounds.

A few years ago, home schooling was illegal in the majority of states and this was for a reason. The state has a responsibility to see to it that it's citizens have a half decent education.

Shouldn't this whole thing be stopped (or better regulated at least)? If I'd been home-schooled, I would have resented the holy shit out of it as soon as I was old enough to realize what a massive disadvantage I would be at in adulthood. Either that or I would be an ignorant evolution denier driving an SUV and waiting for a massive vacuum cleaner to come down and suck me up because of my righteousness. Neither prospect is particularly attractive.

What should be done?

My spouse partially home schooled a couple of our children simply because the education they were receiving was so bad.  Early on we even had them in a Christian school simply because the education was so good.  We of course culled the crap back out of them.  I don't think homeschooling should be allowed for religious reasons.  I don't think parents should even be allowed to indoctrinate their children.  By doing so they are forcing limitations on another person's life and I consider that immoral.
I am a Hard Athiest.  I am thought provoking inwardly and outwardly.  I am a nonconforming freethinker.

TomFoolery

I used to sell homeschool curriculum, and I've seen homeschoolers from all walks of life and all backgrounds. Aside from people who homeschool for reasons NOT relating to personal viewpoints and opinions, I think most of the arguments for homeschooling are pretty hollow.
The big ones are:
1. They teach Creationism, ex ed, banned books, and other things I don't personally agree with.
2. Public school sucks and will turn my child into a non-thinking robot and he or she is obviously a genius and the teacher just doesn't have the time to fully appreciate my special snowflake.

As to the first one, sheltering a person from ideas isn't education. There are age-appropriate and developmentally appropriate topics and issues obviously, but in general, putting your fingers in a child's ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA" every time someone says "Darwin" probably won't end well.

As to the second, people act like education is black and white. You can either send your child to public school and depend ENTIRELY on the school system to shape your child as an individual or you can keep them home and do it yourself. There's an obvious middle ground, which says you can send your child to school and still teach them things on the side. The thing with school is it teaches children to live in the real world. They'll encounter unfair teachers, children who don't like them, feel bored, be asked to complete assignments they don't agree with, and so on. You know, like the real world? And again, is there some law against teaching your own child to think critically, or compassionately, or outside the box? That role should not fall on teachers alone.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

doorknob

Where I live home schooling is regulated heavily.

Also My sister was home schooled for non religious reasons and for a time I home schooled my daughter. Don't throw away home schooling because of religious idiots. It has it's purposes. Like seeing that your children are getting a proper education that the public school can't offer. Also challenging your child to get a head of their grade level. There are pluses to home schooling.

trdsf

Banned?  No.  Regulated, tested, and monitored?  Yes.  These are the students who should be taking the state test, moreso than the ones in public and private schools.  The parents should have a couple check-ins a year with the local school district to address any issues they may be having.

What I don't get is why home schooling is even necessary anymore, at least in areas that have online home instruction.  In that case, if the education is inadequate, the parent is right there to assist, and if it's not inadequate, no prob.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Odoital778412

No, homeschooling should not be banned.  There is already too little freedom in the world, and I don't think we should be doing anything to make that circumstance worse.  In addition, I distrust the state, and I don't think statism is conducive to freedom or human flourishing.  For those reasons, I think alternative educational methods and venues should be encouraged, not discouraged.  Also, it is the responsibility of the parents of a child to see that their child is educated, in the same way that it's the parent's responsibility to provide for that child's care and welfare.  That state's presence is a necessary evil, and it should be operating as a general representative of the people, not as their master.  The state is there to provide for the safety of the citizens, building and maintain a basic infrastructure, enforce basic laws against theft, fraud & coercion, and punish those founding guilty of breaking those laws.  I see no reason for the state to be overly involved in micro-managing the educational activities of each individual family or person.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.” - C.S. Lewis, Is Theology Poetry? -

stromboli

Quote from: doorknob on May 14, 2015, 03:34:01 PM
Where I live home schooling is regulated heavily.

Also My sister was home schooled for non religious reasons and for a time I home schooled my daughter. Don't throw away home schooling because of religious idiots. It has it's purposes. Like seeing that your children are getting a proper education that the public school can't offer. Also challenging your child to get a head of their grade level. There are pluses to home schooling.

^this, for all the right reasons. Home schooling dependent on religion with no oversight is definitely a bad idea. But there are certainly instances where it makes sense. People who live in remote areas such as in Alaska can home school and still interact with their peers in other ways, such as (formerly)via radio and (now) via the internet. The situation where you have home schooling and the only social interaction with peers is through a church does not mold a child into a comprehensive adult but into a narrow minded believer.

Atheon

Homeschooling is a bad idea after elementary school, once students start studyign different specialized subjects. A parent at home can't be expert in all these areas. There should also be oversight and ways to evaluate student performance that ensure they're learning real knowledge and not being indoctrinated in Jeeziness.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

Quote from: trdsf on May 14, 2015, 07:41:20 PM
Banned?  No.  Regulated, tested, and monitored?  Yes.  These are the students who should be taking the state test, moreso than the ones in public and private schools.  The parents should have a couple check-ins a year with the local school district to address any issues they may be having.

What I don't get is why home schooling is even necessary anymore, at least in areas that have online home instruction.  In that case, if the education is inadequate, the parent is right there to assist, and if it's not inadequate, no prob.
I agree with that first paragraph 100%

To your question in the second paragraph. Like someone else said, some areas are not safe at all. When I was going to art school, it was in a town that was very impoverished and had horrible gang violence. My friend had a close encounter with being mistaken for a mark and might have gotten killed one night... Homeschooling makes sense for that area so kids are more safe, but unfortunately one of the people I know that grew up in that town happened to be home schooled by his very religious parents. He knows science pretty well, but rejects it from his skewed take on reality.

Sent from your mom.

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 17, 2015, 05:39:34 PM
To your question in the second paragraph. Like someone else said, some areas are not safe at all. When I was going to art school, it was in a town that was very impoverished and had horrible gang violence. My friend had a close encounter with being mistaken for a mark and might have gotten killed one night... Homeschooling makes sense for that area so kids are more safe, but unfortunately one of the people I know that grew up in that town happened to be home schooled by his very religious parents. He knows science pretty well, but rejects it from his skewed take on reality.
Oh, sure - but that's why I mentioned online home instruction.  Granted, it's as shitty as any other charter school, but at least it's a program of some sort.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan