News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Front Page News Bitches!

Started by aitm, May 12, 2015, 10:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on May 12, 2015, 03:18:57 PM
My best friend then and now is a Christian, and will listen to me, but still can't quit believing because it gives him hope to see his dead wife again some day. I told him have an affair and he could live again being a born again Christian. He didn't think it was funny, but thought about it. Religion gives some people hope, and I can't really criticize them for that. Solitary

Maybe not, its true, when people suffer loss like that, for some the only method they had of going on and living is grasping at such ideas.

But, to be honest, tragic for your friend, but even when dealing with someone whos reason for holding into religion is because of needing that comfort, I just can't help but think of them like children, when you read them bedtime stories or tell about father christmas, to comfort them and give them something to believe in (before they grow up and realize the cold hard truth about it all). To me, faith followers are just children who never grew up, voluntarily deciding not to.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

AllPurposeAtheist

Before I moved to South Carolina I had a mental image of everyone here carrying a bible and church parking lots spilling out into the street.. Strangely enough I've met more atheists and people who don't go to church than I thought possible and on a Sunday morning quite often I can drive by a church and see largely empty parking lots.. It's not as conservative as it's portrayed.  Hell, most people just lay around watching TV or mowing lawns on Sundays,  but of course the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the rolly holers just LOVE to make it seem as if there's no such thing as people who don't go to church.. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mermaid

Ah, so THIS is why so many earthquakes are happening lately.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 12, 2015, 01:01:16 PM
Am I the only one who remembers Madalyn Murray O'Hair?  She came to my attention as the countries 'most hated woman'.  She sponsored the suit that the Supreme Court ruled that bible lessons could not be taught in public schools.  And she started the American Atheist organization.  She was really swimming upriver in the '60's, and largely by herself.
Yup, she's a graduate of my home town's high school, though you'd never know it to read the school history.  I'm not sure when she moved to town or moved away; it was well before her activism days, and long before I was born.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on May 17, 2015, 07:11:52 PM
Yup, she's a graduate of my home town's high school, though you'd never know it to read the school history.  I'm not sure when she moved to town or moved away; it was well before her activism days, and long before I was born.
You had a real pioneer type at your school--great!  When I first heard of her, I was in HS.  I thought she was a nut--but I read more.  And I slowly began to understand what she was driving at--and that the first time I considered what the word 'atheist' meant.  And the rest is history.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2015, 07:20:17 PM
You had a real pioneer type at your school--great!  When I first heard of her, I was in HS.  I thought she was a nut--but I read more.  And I slowly began to understand what she was driving at--and that the first time I considered what the word 'atheist' meant.  And the rest is history.
Just looking it up, she was Class of '37; Grandpa may have known her, he was Class of '35 or thereabouts.  The yearbooks are online at the public library's website.  I'll have to check into that.

EDIT: I was close, Grandpa was Class of '34.  And she was Class of '36 -- I have of course made the relevant correction to Wikipedia.  So there was a chance they might have met, but of course there's no way to know for sure anymore.  Grandpa died more than ten years ago.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

stromboli

Quote from: Mermaid on May 12, 2015, 07:47:20 PM
Ah, so THIS is why so many earthquakes are happening lately.

Mmmm no, I believe that would be Fracking.......

Mermaid

Quote from: stromboli on May 17, 2015, 07:36:46 PM
Mmmm no, I believe that would be Fracking.......
It's totally the gays.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

yep, I mean, lets be honest, the word "fracking" has gay written all over it,,,,,,ami right?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on May 17, 2015, 09:42:22 PM
yep, I mean, lets be honest, the word "fracking" has gay written all over it,,,,,,ami right?

I don't know about that.  It sounds like, "I went to the doctor and he put my arm in a cast, because it took quite a fracking, when I fell off the roof."

Savior2006

Here's what I wrote on my Facebook. It was a response that I felt I should've made to a conservative about a year ago when, on CF, he said "the US needs a religious/spiritual awakening."

"We don't need a religious awakening in this country. We don't need a spiritual awakening.
We need an awakening of intelligence in this country. An awakening of science, knowledge and understanding."
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Mike Cl

Quote from: Savior2006 on May 21, 2015, 12:23:27 PM
Here's what I wrote on my Facebook. It was a response that I felt I should've made to a conservative about a year ago when, on CF, he said "the US needs a religious/spiritual awakening."

"We don't need a religious awakening in this country. We don't need a spiritual awakening.
We need an awakening of intelligence in this country. An awakening of science, knowledge and understanding."
Yes--science, knowledge and understanding----and reason, have always had a hard go of it in this country.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?