Why call it an "Atheist Church"?

Started by Brian37, March 08, 2013, 08:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

I wince a bit at this tactic. I get the evolutionary aspect of our species to socialize. So for atheists to want to socialize is normal because no matter our political or religious labels we are a social species. But why would we as atheists want to attach such a superstitious word in "Church" to what really in reality is merely a social club?

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news ... -go-global
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

surly74

this will really convince Christians atheism is't a religion.

This smacks of "i'm an atheist and i want everyone to know". That's what this forum is for.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Johan

Quote from: "Brian37"But why would we as atheists want to attach such a superstitious word in "Church" to what really in reality is merely a social club?
Not sure about the UK but in the US the tax benefits aren't bad. Other than that, I have no idea. Having an atheist church is kind of like having a pacifist army.  :rolleyes:
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Brian37

Quote from: "surly74"this will really convince Christians atheism is't a religion.

This smacks of "i'm an atheist and i want everyone to know". That's what this forum is for.

Anything can become a religion. All it takes is a personality to lead other humans off the cliff.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

I think its silly. But it does point out the stupidity of giving religion tax breaks- if atheist, the non-religious, become a "church" and are allowed the same tax breaks, it shows how stupid it is.

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"I think its silly. But it does point out the stupidity of giving religion tax breaks- if atheist, the non-religious, become a "church" and are allowed the same tax breaks, it shows how stupid it is.

Like I said, I understand the intent, but I do not like the tactic. This is how cults get started.

GurrenLagann

Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Mister Agenda

If they want to have an atheistic religion fine, but show some originality. No one starts a church of theism, because it's too freakin' vague! How about a Temple of Religious Humanism? How about a Synagogue of Skepticism? How about a library?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

mnmelt

That is the stupidest thing I've seen..!!

Perhaps an Atheist Sanctuary would be better??
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Thumpalumpacus

<insert witty aphorism here>

SGOS

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Brian37"But why would we as atheists want to attach such a superstitious word in "Church" to what really in reality is merely a social club?
Not sure about the UK but in the US the tax benefits aren't bad. Other than that, I have no idea. Having an atheist church is kind of like having a pacifist army.  :rolleyes:
How else can atheists participate in bake sales?

leo

Meh . I would not participate in this .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

FrankDK

Quote from: "stromboli"I think its silly. But it does point out the stupidity of giving religion tax breaks- if atheist, the non-religious, become a "church" and are allowed the same tax breaks, it shows how stupid it is.

In the US, Ethical Societies get the religious tax break.  They don't call themselves a "church," but the structure is very similar.

Frank

Brian37

Quote from: "mnmelt"That is the stupidest thing I've seen..!!

Perhaps an Atheist Sanctuary would be better??

How about simply "building where atheists gather".