Could we create a moral code that transcends religions?

Started by DenDen60, March 08, 2015, 09:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: AtheistHardliner on May 09, 2015, 04:07:18 PM
In any societyies there is a moral code / guide lines some not written down others written down. but i asume youy meen creating sort of a non religus 10 comandments ?
I think the odds of getting anything called 'commandments' agreed to among atheists are pretty slim, and getting agreement on ten of them equally unlikely.  How about The Ten Darned Good Ideas, Discuss?  :D

I would offer the following:

1: Check your calculations.
2: You might be right.  On the other hand, you might be wrong.
3: If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it online.
4: The statement that something is true should be assumed to include the phrase "pending further observations".
5: Occam's Razor is your friend, but you should change the blade occasionally.
6: The only thing that should be written in stone is that nothing should be written in stone.
7: A difference of opinion is not a personal attack.  There is a huge and important difference between the phrases "I didn't like (x)[ because (y)]" and "(x) sucks!!1!"
8: You might be wrong.  On the other hand, you might be right.
9: Your freedom of speech does not imply any responsibility on my part to have to listen.  This works both ways.
10: Check your calculations again.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on May 09, 2015, 07:15:51 PM
I think the odds of getting anything called 'commandments' agreed to among atheists are pretty slim, and getting agreement on ten of them equally unlikely.  How about The Ten Darned Good Ideas, Discuss?  :D

I would offer the following:

1: Check your calculations.
2: You might be right.  On the other hand, you might be wrong.
3: If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it online.
4: The statement that something is true should be assumed to include the phrase "pending further observations".
5: Occam's Razor is your friend, but you should change the blade occasionally.
6: The only thing that should be written in stone is that nothing should be written in stone.
7: A difference of opinion is not a personal attack.  There is a huge and important difference between the phrases "I didn't like (x)[ because (y)]" and "(x) sucks!!1!"
8: You might be wrong.  On the other hand, you might be right.
9: Your freedom of speech does not imply any responsibility on my part to have to listen.  This works both ways.
10: Check your calculations again.
1. and 10. sound really good!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2015, 09:11:06 PM
1. and 10. sound really good!
I was gonna go straight from #8 to #10 and see if anyone noticed the miscount.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan