New Dietary Guidlines Coming Out for Americans

Started by SGOS, May 03, 2015, 02:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

There was a recent study I read-that was admittedly flawed- examining why French people have a lower percentage of coronary and blood sugar related issues than other countries with comparable high fat, high cholesterol diets. The tentative conclusion was cheese, which I frankly think is possible, but not for the reasons given.

French cheeses are unique because the French government protects their producers the same way they do their vintners-by protecting individual brands and small producers. Many rural French cheeses are not pasteurized like what is required in other countries. They are also unique cheese to cheese, because each cave they are aged in has different bacteria that provides different type of fermentation and aging. They produce literally thousands of varieties, many of which are only available locally. So the product, unlike in other countries that go by regional names like Cheddar, Swiss and Muenster- is not subject to the same health requirements like pasteurizing and homogenizing.

Recent studies have shown that gut bacteria and probiotics found in yogurt and other milk based foods are healthful, so why not? Could be a culture that consumes a certain type of bacteria has developed a digestive system capable of warding off the ill effects created by an otherwise bad diet.

pr126

Quote from: Munch on May 03, 2015, 05:18:44 PM
Pr126 what type of diabetes do you have, 1 or 2, I'm assuming type 1 since you said meds
Diabetes type 2, the meds are mainly for the heart condition.
Just 1 metformin per day for the diabetes which I keep well under control with the diet.
HBA1c is 40-46 (annual test).

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on May 03, 2015, 10:37:12 PM
There was a recent study I read-that was admittedly flawed- examining why French people have a lower percentage of coronary and blood sugar related issues than other countries with comparable high fat, high cholesterol diets. The tentative conclusion was cheese, which I frankly think is possible, but not for the reasons given.

That could just be spin and loose interpretation of cause and effect.  In the interview I referenced, it was stated while butter and dairy intake has been on the rise, heart disease has been on the decline.  Well, there may be a correlation or not.  Perhaps a greater factor in heart disease, smoking, which has been on the decline in the US, is the actual cause of reduced heart disease, and butter and dairy has no effect or has been offset by reduced smoking.  It's not like misusing statistics to advance an agenda is anything new.  It's possible that research has ruled out decline in smoking somehow, but that was not stated, leaving us with an impression that we can't actually verify from the information we are given.

AllPurposeAtheist

I had a stent put in me a few years ago and at the time docs put me on some ridiculous diet and pills that made me feel horrible.. I cut out the fat and anything might have cholesterol in it and then my joints ached all the time..
A year or so ago I went back to normal fats, stopped taking the pills (statins) and I feel much better.. I think it comes down to eating reasonable and getting a normal amount of exercise.. Every time I even tried to control diet I felt worse.. When I eat the stuff that I actually like I feel much better. Part of the problem leading up to the stent I think had more to do with fast food and lack of exercise than anything else.. Well that and I still smoke to much and need to bite the bullet and quit..
I eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and the meats I eat aren't processed crap out of a box or fast food..   
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on May 04, 2015, 05:26:57 AM
That could just be spin and loose interpretation of cause and effect.  In the interview I referenced, it was stated while butter and dairy intake has been on the rise, heart disease has been on the decline.  Well, there may be a correlation or not.  Perhaps a greater factor in heart disease, smoking, which has been on the decline in the US, is the actual cause of reduced heart disease, and butter and dairy has no effect or has been offset by reduced smoking.  It's not like misusing statistics to advance an agenda is anything new.  It's possible that research has ruled out decline in smoking somehow, but that was not stated, leaving us with an impression that we can't actually verify from the information we are given.

It is kind of similar to several years ago when the crime rate started dropping. All the reasons given didn't seem to apply, and it turned out the common denominator that was the best answer was the removal of lead from paint and from gasoline. Apparently lead was the biggest cause of violence. weird. The study I read had something like 75 men for a sample group, which is ridiculously small, so the study doesn't have any real scientific basis at this point.