News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Draw and paint Thread (2.0)

Started by Jutter, March 07, 2013, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johan

Quote from: Shiranu on June 01, 2016, 01:50:23 AM
My main hope is that I can someday find someone and something that makes me happy enough to do art simply as a way to express predominately just positive emotions that I am not able to really say in words because my brain won't allow me.
Is there a mirror in your house? Because looking for what you're looking for anywhere else is anything but healthy.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on June 01, 2016, 01:50:23 AM
I guess I do enjoy doing them, but the problem is the tend to come from, especially the pieces I have worked on the last couple of days, a very painful place inside me that I have to find some outlet to release... to the point I don't even necessarily enjoy doing them, they are something I have to do to try to keep my sanity.

That one was done with both feelings... both love and hurt. Love in that it was a visualization of my memory of holding her hand, of the side of her body as we laid next to each other (hence why it's only the side and not her full body or face)... but hurt in that it was done on the last day I think I will ever see her. And that's why I (poorly) tried to kinda convey they are walking separate directions, but I didn't do as good of job of that as I really wanted.

My main hope is that I can someday find someone and something that makes me happy enough to do art simply as a way to express predominately just positive emotions that I am not able to really say in words because my brain won't allow me. That drawing was my way of trying to say how beautiful I found lying next to her and getting to share life, if even briefly. That's what I want the majority of my art to reflect.
I am not an artist.  But I've known a couple.  Your description above is the 'text book' wording for why an artist is an artist.  You see your work with different eyes than anybody else can.  Why?  Because you  see the piece as a imperfect rendition of the picture you have of it in your brain.  You compare the piece in the real world with the perfect piece in your head that none can see but you.  I see the piece and think it wonderful--emotive, suggestive, and visually stimulating.  I think striving for that perfection done with your hands is what keeps you wanting (having to) do art.  I wonder how you would react if you ever reached that goal??

Don't destroy any of your work--not until a third party has seen it.  And don't stop because you think you are inferior than other artists.  Keep it up--I may be a poor judge, but I like your work.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

gentle_dissident

I've worked out emotions in many artistic ways. I move on from those emotions, perhaps because of the art, but I also move on from the art. I want my art to speak for humanity's fondest wishes, but it often speaks of my personal struggles.

PickelledEggs

New commissioned charcoal drawing is complete.

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

New painting

8"x10" oil on panel

PickelledEggs

I finished a new drawing

I call it "System Wipe"
it's 6"x9" done with black and white charcoal on paper

Shiranu

(Very) Rough draft of an Elephant I am going to do for a coworker who likes elephants. Trying to incorporate more Indian motifs into this one than my normal. Might also look at some Thai wats and art, see if anything useful there.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on October 13, 2016, 07:12:32 PM
(Very) Rough draft of an Elephant I am going to do for a coworker who likes elephants. Trying to incorporate more Indian motifs into this one than my normal. Might also look at some Thai wats and art, see if anything useful there.

Cool. How big is it gonna be?

PickelledEggs

Here is a new drawing I finished up

It's a 5"x4" black and white charcoal drawing, I call "Obfuscation"

PickelledEggs

New drawing
4"x6 black and white charcoal drawing
"Random Access Memory"

Draconic Aiur

So I finished my 3rd art project with a drawing/painting on the required theme of Social Responsibility with the subject of the Dakota Pipeline and I thought it was good for a beginner. Critiques?

Draconic Aiur

Now i look at it again I curse my shitty camera for the blasted blur and not getting the grey color of the snake.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on April 30, 2017, 06:29:35 PM
So I finished my 3rd art project with a drawing/painting on the required theme of Social Responsibility with the subject of the Dakota Pipeline and I thought it was good for a beginner. Critiques?
Your best work that I've seen!  And it far outstrips anything I could do.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Sharpie and tissue paper project while slow at work... about 16 hours to do.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur