News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Draw and paint Thread (2.0)

Started by Jutter, March 07, 2013, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Here's a drawing I did for a friend's website. It's inspired by H.R. Giger.

Here is an original comic book cover I did for a contest at a local comic book store. I did the darkroom work to develop the transparency that overlays the pencil as well:

Here are some sketches: http://postimg.org/gallery/bwt10ofu/
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Solitary

Well done! Keep drawing and you will find after that you will start to have a photographic memory. All the arts require practice, practice, practice, and more practice. And what is fun is to look at your earlier work and compare the difference. Even if I didn't draw or paint for periods of time I got better just thinking about it. And don't listen to critics because they are usually not artists at all and don't realize it's not like taking a photograph. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Awesome, Zorn!

I love Giger.  The comic hero drawings are amazing as well!

Solomon Zorn

Thanks, guys. The superhero drawings were for an idea I had for a comic book called "New Mutants 2099". The green guy is supposed to be a descendant of Bruce Banner, called "Gamma". The comic book cover was done in pencil in 1992 and then scanned and colored on a computer back in 1996. I did the sketches 20 years ago, at work, when I was on break...mostly. I had a much better grasp of the human figure then than I do now. I couldn't do one very well out-of-my-head anymore. My skills at best have stagnated, and in areas have seriously atrophied over time. I stopped collecting comics, and lost interest in drawing them as well, and began building sci-fi models again (I built them all through my childhood) as a creative outlet. I have built 44 models already this year! 8-)

PickelledEggs

Just did a charcoal study. Finished it around 1 this morning.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Just did a charcoal study. Finished it around 1 this morning.
Pretty damn good. I think the eyes may be a little misaligned to each other, but even so it's 50x better than anything I could make! =D>
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

Well done pickelledEggs! The eyes look OK to me. Maybe that's why my portraits always had slanted eyes even when they weren't Orientals. I hope my son's Chinese girl friend doesn't read this.  :-$  8-[  Keep those cards and letters coming!  :P   :lol:  Solitary

PickelledEggs

Shit. You're right. They are a tiny bit off. It might be the eye socket on her right eye, because it goes too low.

Either way. Thanks for the compliments AND constructive criticism!  :-D

Solomon Zorn

I think it's awesome! I thought it was just a trick of the shadows, but now that you point out the eye socket, I see it. But until you pointed it out I didn't notice it. Excellent work.

Solitary

A lot of people do not have features that are picture perfect, and one reason why portraits are so hard to get a likeness. Caricature artist exaggerate this fact when they do a portrait. The drawing may be spot on if it is a good likeness. Even if not it is excellent work.  =D>  Solitary

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

Hey guys, I did a new progress video with the last day study I finished.[youtube:3n42an8d]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1EECrj_mI[/youtube:3n42an8d]

Let me know what you think! Be as critical as possible, btw. If something sucks and you think can be done better, let me know your suggestions!
(solitary had a good tip with the last one telling my head was in the way)

Solitary

=D>  Good job! Even when I was able I'm not sure I could do better. I did this type of work when I was going to art school. Faces and the human body are the hardest to draw because if anything is off it stands out like a sore thumb. And yet in order to get a likeness you have to be able to draw what is off on the face and be able to account for it without making a character study. If you can do this good with faces you can draw anything. Another thing that is hard to draw is automobiles, also anything that is foreshorten, like a hand, face, or body. It's nice to see that computer art hasn't stopped people from drawing. If one can't draw he doesn't have the foundation needed for painting. Try transparent water collars first if you want to. Solitary

PickelledEggs

PickelledEggs

I found a drawing I did about 20 years ago. I was probably 3 or 4 at the time. Figured I'd share. :rollin: