News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Draw and paint Thread (2.0)

Started by Jutter, March 07, 2013, 06:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

Drawings, paintings, digital or oldfashioned. Here's a place to share it.

Drawing used to be a big part of my life, and because I have a 10.1 inch android-tablet and a bamboo-one drawingtablet for my PC, I decided to buy Sketchbook Pro for both platforms. The android version costs but a tenth of the PC version, but will take more getting used to. It's brilliant for making abstract pieces, even if you've never drawn before. Just combine drawing aids with different special-effects brushes and throw in some mirroring if you want.

I love the flexibility of manipulating seperate layers. Pencil, pen and ink were so messy. And rotationg the canvas (PC version) is great during inking. And you end zooming in and out A LOT.

To get aquainted with the tools I'll likely use the most I watched this tutorial (PC version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDUWspKT ... NmgbMNijMR
and got cracking

-I downloaded a spiderman-sketch, and lowered the opacity to a lighter gray.

-Started a layer on top of that, to do a rough tentative inking job. With digital art you do the inking with a 6B pencil instead of ink. If you've ever done real inking, that might make you giggle.
-Replaced the sketch with a green background (a contrasting colour to make it easier to spot later colouring errors)
-Placed a layer in between the background and the inked Spidey. Because of this I could do a sloppy job filling in the blue, cleaning things up with the hard eraser afterwards.
-A seperate layer on top of that (still underneath the inked Spidey) for the red.
-Locking the transparancy on the two middle layers (the foreground colouring) allows me to apply shading to Spidey, without being able to mess up and colour outside Spidey's body.
-Made the background light blue, and airbrushed in some whites and greys to suggest clouds.

-Using the same "lock transparancy" trick I can also make the ink-work look fancier, and plan on improving the background (maybe something with skyscrapers to test out the digital rulers).
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jutter

Here's two cartoons I did a while ago using Artrage2

[spoil:3gcvung1]
[/spoil:3gcvung1]
I expect to do better with my new software. Stay tuned.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jutter

This was a really quick exercise (matter of minutes). No borrowed sketch this time. This one done with the android-version on my tablet, and that means fingerpainting. With the zoom function that's still remarkably flexible.

The dog started out as a bland brown sillouette . Again using the "lock transparancy" trick on that layer I added shading (airbrush) and highlights (pencil). On a second layer I drew in the collar, eyes and nose with pencil. Finally I added a background layer, airbrushed in a grey shadow, and picked out a special brush for the colourfull backdrop.

WitchSabrina

I draw on paper - with a pencil.  (then I ink it later)

Soooo old.  I'm so old.  :rollin:

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jason Harvestdancer

A painting I did of a woman I am deeply devoted to.  This painting was a present to her.  Oil on canvas.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jutter

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Image
How do you make brush&ink, let alone pen&ink look that grainy? I lack the skills for achieving such effects the oldfashioned way.
With my cartoony background, I always end up messing up the proportions on realistic attempts.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Jutter"How do you make brush&ink, let alone pen&ink look that grainy? I lack the skills for achieving such effects the oldfashioned way.
With my cartoony background, I always end up messing up the proportions on realistic attempts.

It's called ink by hand - with a nib.  Pointillism or harsh marks...........  You slowly build the darker areas by applying more ink where needed.  Takes a lot of time but the end result is pretty cool.  Ink actually etches into paper based on line and amount.
Also, you *can* paint with ink - make a wash from ink and water.  You layer the same way.

here's ink wash - line work and paint-brushed ink

(When I do children's books - I use wash and colored inks)

99% of what I do is black&white using India ink.

about 50% of my work is drawing tattoos for people prior to them seeing a skin artist.  I have two tattoos to finish today.
Here's one I did awhile back

I began pen&Ink in 1975
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jutter

Frackloads of tiny dots... I should've guessed. Beautiful results though.
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Also, you *can* paint with ink - make a wash from ink and water.  You layer the same way.
I've done charcoal drawings, where shading was also a matter of stacking light layers of decreasing size (while squinting a bit less at my example for every next layer).
Also I used to do greetingcard desings (even sold some to Hallmark) where coloured inks were my weapon of choice. -tricks I learned from another greetingcard-designer- After applying masking film (smelly icky rubbery shit) to the foreground, and moistening the tightly taped down sheet of paper, it's colourfull splashy time, blending parts out with a clean dry brush. After that....
...I'm going to miss part of it, but not the waiting for things to finally dry up, having to start from scratch if things go too far astray, or paying through the nose for materials that might go bad before I ever get around to using them. Welcome digital age.

Jutter

For those who'd like to take a crack at oldfashioned 40's/50's cartooning style. A google image search for Preston Blair should be helpfull.
Here's how to do a cute character.

Blair's work was once recommended to me by Wilbert Plijnaar. (That and Sid Fields books on screenplaywriting). This was roughly a year before he got scooped up by Hollywood.

AllPurposeAtheist

Back in college I majored in commercial art..did a lot of cartooning, etc.. My dad was an ad exec then sold for Flourographics, artist separated color pre computers.. everything was done by hand with the base line drawing then layered primary colors of mylar, transparency..
I can still hear my dad when he was a dept store ad exec saying, 'Dammit Marty, we don't sell tits and pussy..' I liked drawing naked chicks.. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jutter

For those who want to feel that joy also; check out these Preston Blair tutorials. Just leave out the clothes...

Jutter

If  you have an Android or Apple I-device (smartphone/tablet)... invest a few bucks into Sketchbook Pro, fool around with the tools and brushes, and share your (abstract) doodles. At well under a tenner this is a really powerfull and easy to use art-kit.

NitzWalsh

I'm not very good, but here's some stuff I did about 8 years ago.

[spoil:1mx0a6ag]

[/spoil:1mx0a6ag]
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

AllPurposeAtheist

Dammit.. I was studying anatomy books..no wonder all the girls I drew looked like they'd been cut apart. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jutter

I'm currently also experimenting with doing Alexander/Ross-style landscape painting digitally. Once I get the hang of happy clouds and happy mountains, it's on to happy trees, bushes etc. I noticed the android version of Sketchbook Pro includes one smearing tool... which comes in real handy here.

Also got my hands on the android version of Photoshop. I love how all these uber-powerfull tools are available at well under ten euro. Lot's of manga-style tutorials for Android also. A great opportunity to learn that style.