News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Texas goes godless.

Started by Brian37, March 07, 2013, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

http://www.caller.com/news/2013/mar/07/ ... in-corpus/

Billboards advertising SouthTexasCoR.org up now in Corpus Christi.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

May GOD almighty grant Rick Perry authority to smite thee.
/ :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

I am shaking in my boots *cough*.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Brian37"I am shaking in my boots *cough*.
As it should be. Mr Perry will be pleased.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

billhilly

The comments on the article are a hoot.

Atheon

Great! Not only in Texas, but in a city named "Body of Christ"!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

StupidWiz

This is great! I wonder if it'd be taken down? I hope it won't.
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Mister Agenda

Glad to hear it. I used to live there, and I think it'll do 'em some good.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hydra009

My favorite comment:

QuoteIf you can read, spell and do math, most people around here consider you a "liberal." They love that word. "Liberal this and Liberal that and liberal underneath the stairs and on the lawn and even on the kitchen table when you're feeling randy."

If I was in a serious jam, I'd rather be with some godforsaken atheist than some crazy person who sees Mother Mary and Baby Jesus in every tortilla, cookie, misshapen potato or urine stain underneath a bridge.

All that being said, I think the signs are silly, and were just put up there to rile you hillbillies. Most of you never read a book, any book, and most especially the "good book," and yet you let the words on a billboard get your undies in a snit.
Of course, that billboard is not actually there to rile up the hillbillies (that would be my advert for vegan gay muslim babysitting and abortion services) but to reach out to atheists who have the deep misfortune of living in Texas (just be glad it's not Kansas) and feel a little isolated from fellow atheists.

And yes, us atheists are great in a jam.  Every single one of us has a zombie plan and a rapture plan.  We love science/technology and we're not afraid to use it.  And if we have to resort to cannibalism, we're totally okay with eating the children first.

GurrenLagann

I posted a comment as "Zopdoz". It says that they have to screen my post since I'm a new user. Let's see if it actually makes it.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Mermaid

The commentary is interesting. The liberal-bashing guy's comments actually kind of reinforce my atheism for some reason. What a fucking idiot.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

QuoteI could really care less if you don't believe in God, I feel sorry for you, but I do realize that is your choice. As for as your opinion or views on how I should feel about my God, this is nothing new.
What I want to know is how a sign that says you're not alone if you don't believe in god is in any way telling this guy how he should feel about his god.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

widdershins

Quote from: "Hydra009"And yes, us atheists are great in a jam.  Every single one of us has a zombie plan and a rapture plan.  We love science/technology and we're not afraid to use it.  And if we have to resort to cannibalism, we're totally okay with eating the children first.
I do have a zombie plan (and a backup zombie plan), but I do not have a rapture plan.  It just doesn't seem likely enough to warrant the time it would take to plan for it.  But, yeah, everyone should have a zombie plan.
This sentence is a lie...

Hydra009

Quote from: "widdershins"I do have a zombie plan (and a backup zombie plan), but I do not have a rapture plan.  It just doesn't seem likely enough to warrant the time it would take to plan for it.  But, yeah, everyone should have a zombie plan.
It basically just involves a seaside resort, a good book, and world peace.  The Rapture is sort of an anti-apocalypse.  Instead of it being the end of the world, it's basically just a sudden removal of all the idjits.