post your Top 5 non-fiction books

Started by Goon, April 25, 2015, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJS

These are five that immediately come to mind and would rank at least in my top twenty.

The Blank Slate-The Modern Denial of Human Nature by Steven Pinker

Man's Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl

The Demon Haunted World  by Carl Sagan

The As If Principle by Richard Wiseman

Born to Run by Chris McDougall
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

Solitary

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on April 26, 2015, 12:18:56 AM
Not necessarily nonfiction,  but John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. It was based on mostly events that really occurred.
A great book and movie, one of the best! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

(1) God and the Folly of Faith by Victor J. Stenger.
(2) Queens of Noise by Evelyn McDonnell.
(3) TESLA Man Out Of Time by Margaret Cheney.
(4) Bad Reputation the Unauthorized Biography of Joan Jett by Dave Thomson.
(5) he Good Man JESUS and the scoundrel CHRIST by Philip Pullman.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 25, 2015, 11:57:54 PM
"Nightfall" -Asimov

I need to (belatedly) hug you for this inclusion.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

PickelledEggs

Quote from: trdsf on May 21, 2015, 12:19:41 AM
I need to (belatedly) hug you for this inclusion.  :)
My favorite book of all time ;)

trdsf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 21, 2015, 12:27:14 AM
My favorite book of all time ;)

I'd read Asimov's shopping lists, if Janet would publish them.  Now, I haven't read the novelization he did with Silverberg.  And for the love of all that is just, proper and sane, do not go looking for any of the movie versions.  There were two and they both suck harder than the black hole at the center of this galaxy.  If I may quote my own IMDB review of one of them:
Quote from: trdsfHad the tape I watched not been a rental, I would have taken it out into the street and run over it several times, ground what remained into a powder, and burned it before it could hurt anyone else.

I'm not even going to try to name a favorite Asimov novel, or even story.  My head would explode trying to decide.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan