News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy Birthday, Hubble

Started by trdsf, April 24, 2015, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Those of us old enough to remember would've scarcely thought that the Hubble Space Telescope -- even before we learned about its optics flaw, and even taking into account the incredible repair mission that gave it essentially a corrective monocle -- would still be delivering cutting-edge science 25 years later.  It went up on the shuttle Discovery on 24 April 1990.

Now imagine what we could have on orbit (and on the Moon, and on Mars) if we'd shave a percent or three off the military budget (on which we far outspend the next 5 countries combined) and turn that over to NASA.

Remember the public uproar over the plan to shut Hubble down several years back?  Even though for a lot of people, it's just about the "pretty pictures", they're still pretty pictures of the real universe.  For me, it's one of the places I get a sense of awe unmatched by anything I ever felt in a church or a circle.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

kilodelta

Holy crap... it doesn't feel like 25 years.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

drunkenshoe

Quote from: kilodelta on April 24, 2015, 04:58:47 PM
Holy crap... it doesn't feel like 25 years.

Agreed. though I got aware of it at around 19, not 13. Lol.

Anyway... :new_birthday: Huuubble!
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Green Bottle

Happy Birthday Hubble,  love your work....

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

kilodelta

Quote from: Penny Dreadful on April 24, 2015, 05:01:29 PM
Agreed. though I got aware of it at around 19, not 13. Lol.

Anyway... :new_birthday: Huuubble!

I remember it being a big thing in my school when they launched it.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know