Why do some people find Atheism so hard to understand ?

Started by Termin, April 20, 2015, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on April 21, 2015, 12:11:46 PM
speaking of things hard to understand. Hiya Cutie! Good to see you back! Same old gang of assholes here ceptin me the perfect gentlemen as you well know. Speaking of that do you have any new pics?   :)~

Lol, hey aitm. Well you have to do with my avatar for now. You'll be the first one to get my new pics dear I promise.  :kiss:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Yeah, about that av......eh......it needs some help dear.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on April 21, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
Yeah, about that av......eh......it needs some help dear.

Why do you think I put on red lipstick? :p
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

antediluvian

Maybe this is unusual, but no one I know has a problem understanding atheism.  What's so difficult to comprehend about not believing?
However, some of my believer friends jokingly refer to me as a "communist".  I think they may have a difficult time saying the A-word.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

Light Craftsman

The problem is most theists simply cannot take "We don't know" as an answer. They need absolutes. Also, when it comes to religious beliefs they are usually not deep thinkers, and will latch on to whatever belief makes them feel good.
You cannot have a rational discussion with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

the_antithesis

QuoteWhy do some people find Atheism so hard to understand ?

They're stupid.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: kilodelta on April 20, 2015, 11:19:44 PM
I have no idea. Last week some Christian told me that an atheist is their own god.

...he just couldn't fathom not having a god belief.

I knew a guy in Alcoholics Anonymous who was always hyping God.  He used to say with great authority, "There is a god, and you ain't him!"  Then he would punctuate the finality of what he perceived as a deeply profound insight with this satisfied look of self approval.

I used to think, "WTF?  Who the Hell is he even talking to?  Who is this person who thinks he's God?  No Christian would make that claim, or would they?  And certainly no atheist would make such a claim, since the basic tenet of atheism is, after all, that there is no god."

Termin

In another discussion with someone about atheism, they are trying to prove atheism wrong because it makes certain claims about god, and the creation of the universe. I explained the usual that atheism is not a claim, but lack of a belief. This goes back and forth and I'll spare you the entire conversation but I will share this nugget.

"Atheism has a not claim associated with it!  How do you explain a not claim having a not claim with it if it is not actually a claim?"
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Termin on May 02, 2015, 06:56:45 PM
In another discussion with someone about atheism, they are trying to prove atheism wrong because it makes certain claims about god, and the creation of the universe. I explained the usual that atheism is not a claim, but lack of a belief. This goes back and forth and I'll spare you the entire conversation but I will spare this nugget.

"Atheism has a not claim associated with it!  How do you explain a not claim having a not claim with it if it is not actually a claim?"
Is there a translator in the house?????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Termin

I replied with this, I wrote it and i'M not sure what is actually means, but I hope the sarcasm comes across.

in response too
I responded with
It's quite simple actually.
Not having a claim is not a not a claim, a not claim is making a claim that something is not, whereas a not claim is not claiming that something is not, or is. So when you say a not claim having a not claim  is not actually a claim it is in fact a claim that the not claim is not a claim therefore their never was a claim to not make.

Do you not misunderstand now ?

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

stromboli

Mike Cl

Quote from: Termin on May 02, 2015, 08:48:33 PM
I replied with this, I wrote it and i'M not sure what is actually means, but I hope the sarcasm comes across.

in response tooI responded with
I gotta love it!!!! :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

hrdlr110

Quote from: Light Craftsman on April 22, 2015, 07:04:20 PM
The problem is most theists simply cannot take "We don't know" as an answer. They need absolutes. Also, when it comes to religious beliefs they are usually not deep thinkers, and will latch on to whatever belief makes them feel good.

"We don't know" is more of an absolute than any of the gods being pitched as the real deal tho.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Savior2006

I think an Americans Against The Tea Party cited a study that one of the main reasons atheists are disrespected is that the human mind is uniquely aware of death.

We force them to confront of the fear of death. Permanent fucking death. No heaven being the slave of a angry God praising Him for all of eternity.

When atheists confront the many assumptions and incorrect notions that the religious make, and as science takes a big Golden Shower on "holy events" like the Flood that never happened, we chip further into that shield. And that makes them angrier and angrier. They scream about how we are "tearing down faith," and about how we can't just let them believe what they want.

Well, we would if you idiots didn't try to get elected and pass stupid laws you fucking tit-shitters.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano