Suppose God (christian) was proved to exist (imperically)?

Started by Ro3bert, April 19, 2015, 06:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ro3bert

As a thought experiment suppose, just for the moment that it was proven that the Christ and   Biblical God did, in fact, exist.

How would it affect your atheism? How would you reconcile yourself to embracing the need to worship him, :worship:  to denying your atheism?

Would you study the Bible?

I would be in deep shit, my belief is so ingrained I don't think I'd be able to make the change.

Robert

the_antithesis

Quote from: Ro3bert on April 19, 2015, 06:38:59 PM
As a thought experiment suppose, just for the moment that it was proven that the Christ and   Biblical God did, in fact, exist.

I wouldn't care. They haven't really effected my life thus far and learning they're real is unlikely to effect it afterwards.

Munch

Heres my take on this. As Stephen Fry had put it in the interview he had with a bishop. As an atheist, I look at religious belief in the same comfort state a child has to fictional characters like father christmas or the tooth fairy, they are just the rambling stories of cults trying to control people on mass.

However, if in an alternative reality where it were possible for god to exist, I would put it like Stephen did. Why the fuck should a worship a capricious, mean minded, stupid god, who creates a world so full of injustice and pain. Why should I worship a deity that claims to love us, when he would just as easily drown us, kill our children to prove a point, and set out wars between mankind just to prove he 'loves us'/

If god was real, I would say fuck you to him, and if he would send me to hell for it, good, I'd sooner go there, at least the devil was right about him.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aroura33

Um, I got kind of hung up on the phrase "denying your atheism", but I'll try and move on...lol

I don't think the Christian God, as exists in the bible or any version of him I've heard explained, CAN exist.  He isn't logically consistent. 
However, if A God came down and demanded, in person, that we all worship him or he'd destroy us (perhaps even exhibiting of a few of the Christian God's traits!), perhaps giving a demonstration of his ability to do so, I'd privately think it was a powerful alien not a God, but I'd worship it outwardly so as not to be destroyed.

Let's say it claimed to have created us and threatened us with hell if we don't actually BELIEVE he's God?  Um. I don't know if I could be scared into believing.  Maybbe if he showed me heaven and hell.  But I'd still privately be thinking these are just some other worlds this alien tortures other beings in, or something.

I don't know.  I don't want to be closed minded or admit that nothing could change my PoV.  I know a lot of people would say evidence would change your views, but what would constitute evidence of anything "supernatural"? I mean, so far, everything humans have found, including some pretty "miraculous" stuff like black holes and virus's, have all turned out to be a natural part of the universe.  There are weird things in existence.  Who am I to classify something as not part of the natural world? 

I think I could be persuaded to believe that aliens created us and now demand worship for some reason, with a lot of evidence, but I don't even understand what evidence for "God" or the supernatural would constitute.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Mr.Obvious

Hypothetically?

QuoteHow would it affect your atheism?
It would prove it was wrong.
Though, with current 'proof' it would have been wrong for the right reasons. Christians would turn out to be right, but had the wrong reasons for thinking so.

QuoteHow would you reconcile yourself to embracing the need to worship him, :worship:  to denying your atheism?
I wouldn't feel the need to worship him. Not if he's the actual god of the bible. If it were just a god that didn't care, or one that didn't pretend to be all powerfull or all loving, I might say; hey thanks for the planet dude. If he showed to be a 'non-all-powerfull-being' and 'non-all-knowing-being' that tried to help humanity in any way it could and this was the best it could do; I'd thank it for its efforts.
But the god of the bible: no. No worship.

QuoteWould you study the Bible?
I might read it in full. But I've had more than my share reading the first  three or four books. It was fuckign disgusting. If that God existed; he had some explaining to do. And I'd hope he could find a better medium for doing it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Ro3bert on April 19, 2015, 06:38:59 PM

How would it affect your atheism? How would you reconcile yourself to embracing the need to worship him, :worship:  to denying your atheism?

Would you study the Bible?

I would be in deep shit, my belief is so ingrained I don't think I'd be able to make the change.

Robert
It's possible that Jesus (I'm assuming that is who you mean.  Christ is the name of an office.) existed.  Yet that would not prove the NT was talking about that particular Jesus.  As for the Bible, I have studied it and I have read it all.  It would be impossible to have the God of the bible proven to exist since it is full of contradictions.  Since there really is not a single printed document called the "Bible' that all the various sects agree upon, which Bible would you be referring to?  And which edition of said Bible, as well?

And if one of those versions or the Bible were proven true, I'd like to gain an audience with that monster refereed to as 'God' and see if I could get out of this fucking, horror of a universe.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Green Bottle

Well if it was all true an Gawd did really exist i suppose id be Gobsmacked for a while, then once id picked myself up off the floor id walk up to him/her/it   and in a clear & calm voice id say.....................
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

Any god that would be proven empirically, assuming it was a god which is currently being worshiped, would only qualify as an irrational being because every god currently worshiped is irrational. But as has been shown on here numerous times, defining/describing a supernatural god (i.e. beyond the ability of humans to describe) ain't gonna happen.

Green Bottle

There you go again Stromboli, getting all Logical............... :popcorn:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

dtq123

Yeah. I don't care. God doesn't exist in my eyes, even if I go blind.
:fU:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

GSOgymrat

If I believed the Christian God was real I would try to do what he wanted me to do because I would fear eternal damnation. It is kind of like saying if extraterrestrials appeared, vaporized Australia and said stop eating meat or we will vaporize the rest of the planet, I would immediately become a vegetarian.

Termin

If it was proven then I would believe in its existence, doesn't mean I will like it; after all I believe that liver and onions exists, but it doesn't mean I like it.

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

stromboli

Quote from: Green Bottle on April 19, 2015, 09:44:05 PM
There you go again Stromboli, getting all Logical............... :popcorn:

Lol. I try, GB. I try.  :biggrin:

Jason Harvestdancer

If the Christian god were empirically proven, that would mean Christianity is empirically proven.  I'd be a sinner, and I'm happy that way.  That particular god is a neurotic psychopath.

Zeus is only a horny philanderer wanting to hit any tail he can get.  Odin is a schemer trying to save the world.  Thor wants to party and beat up giants.  Yahweh is a murderous nutcake.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

stromboli

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on April 19, 2015, 10:35:23 PM
If the Christian god were empirically proven, that would mean Christianity is empirically proven.  I'd be a sinner, and I'm happy that way.  That particular god is a neurotic psychopath.

Zeus is only a horny philanderer wanting to hit any tail he can get.  Odin is a schemer trying to save the world.  Thor wants to party and beat up giants.  Yahweh is a murderous nutcake.

Right. Like I said, every god currently worshiped is irrational.