For those who like emulation and retrogaming

Started by viocjit, April 17, 2015, 01:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viocjit

I like emulation and retrogaming because there are many old video games that are fun or / and technically good. Also I like to discover games from the past because I can discover outdated technologies.

What is emulation (in this context) ? : This is the possibility to run a video game that was made for another hardware than your.
Example : You can play to games that was made for MegaDrive (Genesis in North America) with a PC under Windows 7.
An article from Wikipedia : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator

What is retrogaming ? : This is simple to understand if you analyse the first part of this word. Retro means old or ancient. Retro + gaming = play to oldies games.

For those who are attract by the subject. Can you say me what are yours favourite old games ?

Some games that I like by alphabetical order (P: = Publisher , D: = Developer , Y: Year of release , p:Platform) :
1.Bio menace (P: Apogee Software , D: Apogee Software , Y: 1993 , p: MS-DOS)
2.Streets of rage (P: Sega , D: Sega , Y: 1991 , p: MegaDrive (Genesis))
3.Streets of rage 2 (P: Sega , D: Sega , Ancient Y: 1992 or 1993 p: Sega Master System)

PS : Don't post ROM and ISO there because ROM sharing and ISO sharing is illegal in many countries.

Hydra009

That refresher made me laugh.  Might be a tad too dumbed down, heh.  But yes, I'm a fan of emulation.

Old favorites:

Alien VS Predator
X-Men
Punisher
TMNT
Galaga
Blasteroids
Revolution X

kilodelta

I like PS Emulators to play Brigandine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandine_(video_game)
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

trdsf

I don't even need an emulator; just a wrapper so XP/7 can cope with a DOS game: The 7th Guest.  Still one of my favorite games, twenty years later.  Terrific soundtrack, great puzzles, and *the* game that made the CD-ROM drive a necessity rather than an option.

I'm entirely behind the curve anyway.  I still play Tiger Woods 2005 on a PS2 (they broke game physics on the later editions) and the Katamari games, and Champions of Norrath/Return to Arms for some good old fashioned beer and pretzels hack'n'slashing.

And once in a while I dig out my Atari 2600 console and have at it.  I don't emulate, I retrogame.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

The only emulation I've played has been castlevania symphony of the night. Some old games I watch them on youtube and don't feel like wanting to replay them, but symphony of the night was and still is one of my favorite games from the ps1 era.

Might like to play super castlevania 4 for snes, my first intro to the series and a real treat for my childhood memories seeing playthough of it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

Thanks for starting this thread. I played five hours of Brigandine last night.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

the_antithesis

I've been into this for a while now. I like emulators better than the actual thing because dealing with storing all that crap is such a pain in the ass.

I've been using MAME, Stella, JzIntv, FCEUX, MESS, Nostalgia, O2EM, Visual Boy, Visual Pinball, and DICE, which is interesting since it's not an emulator but a simulator of the early integrated circuit arcade games. Most of the early arcade games are only playable in this way... unless you find a working machine somewhere.

Simularly, I've been into the Game & Watch style games lately and have been playing the great simulators found here. The stuff by Madrigal is particularly good, if redundant since he also made simulators of clones and knock-offs.

trdsf

Oh yeah - Visual Pinball and MAME.  More VP though, I still like pinball better and one'a these bad boys is near the top of my lottery list.  I'm on the Doctor Who and Twilight Zone machines all the time.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

TrueStory

I've used various emulators to play:
Forgotten Worlds
Streets of Rage
Killer Instict Gold
NBA Jams

Pretty sure those were all sega genesis titles.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

PickelledEggs

I rigged my computer to my tv and play Cosmic Alien with an actual arcade stick

aitm

Oh whew!  Immolation…Emulation….well,, okay then….move along..had me worried for a minute…carry on!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

I'd like to make something like this. If I do, I'd probably make a cocktail cabinet because I don't want to have to stand up to play a game and it would be a nice table for a breakfast nook or something.

trdsf

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 10, 2015, 12:49:40 PM
I'd like to make something like this. If I do, I'd probably make a cocktail cabinet because I don't want to have to stand up to play a game and it would be a nice table for a breakfast nook or something.
Yeah, I've already started eyeing tables at second-hand stores that I might be able to hack a hole in...

DeathandGrim

I play alotta old arcade games and SNES games

But my favorite to play on a genesis emulator was the Shining Force Series.
You argue with a god of death?

We all make bad decisions.

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

the_antithesis

Quote from: trdsf on May 10, 2015, 05:21:55 PM
Yeah, I've already started eyeing tables at second-hand stores that I might be able to hack a hole in...

I would probably build a table or buy a kit. I'd want a coin door so I could save up for a trip to Hawaii or something.