News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Minimum Wage Vicious Cycle

Started by Xerographica, April 15, 2015, 03:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deidre32

Raising minimum wage isn't a bad idea, but it won't help society, in the long run. What will help is getting into neighborhoods that seem to be disadvantaged, and helping them to see the value of an education. The value of striving to reach for the stars. Raising minimum wage ...doubling it...etc...only keeps people's bar lowered.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Xerographica

Quote from: doorknob on April 20, 2015, 05:33:07 PM
"These things are all true because nobody is a mind a reader.  Orange farmers can't read your mind to determine how much you value oranges.  You have to give them this information.  How?  Communication.  Specifically, cash.  If you lie with your cash... then the supply of oranges will be wrong.  The supply of oranges will produce less value than it should.  Resources will be inefficiently allocated."

once again an example of you living in magical fairly land. Sure if we could read minds but we can't and i hope we never will. And who are you to judge how much any one values anything. Maybe those oranges are worth more to bob in his mind but in reality only worth a few dollars. So we should charge bob more than some other person? That is insane oranges are only worth what oranges are worth regardless of who you are selling too. Or are you saying only the rich should get to eat oranges? Because maybe bob thinks highly of oranges but can't afford oranges? Then what genius? Bob goes hungry is what. And that is where the problem starts.

We will have an influx of poor people who can't afford to live if what you are proposing to do would happen. You are insane! No one lives in the world you are imagining and honestly I"m kind of glad I don't want to be ripped off just because I like oranges more than bob does.

I'm living in magical fairyland?  Ok, so fill in the blanks...

Day 1: Discover oranges
Day 2:
Day 3:
Day n:
Today: Abundance of oranges

How did we end up with oranges in every supermarket?   Explain how we go from scarcity to abundance in the real world. 

doorknob

first of all I'm not convinced we have an abundance of oranges. Just because the supermarket has oranges doesn't mean we have an abundance of oranges. We probably have the right amount of oranges if some one is doing their job correctly.

Have you ever worked at a grocery store? I'm guessing not since you think we have an abundance of oranges!

Prove we have an abundance of oranges!

Moralnihilist

Quote from: Xerographica on April 22, 2015, 12:43:48 PM
I'm living in magical fairyland?  Ok, so fill in the blanks...

Day 1: Discover oranges
Day 2:
Day 3:
Day n:
Today: Abundance of oranges

How did we end up with oranges in every supermarket?   Explain how we go from scarcity to abundance in the real world. 

First off there isn't an abundance of oranges. This is why the prices fluctuate. The cost of an orange is dependent on the crop yield. If there is a frost issue or an overly cold season and the yield is small then the cost of an orange is larger than if there is a bumper year in terms of production. You know supply and demand.
And to how we have oranges in every supermarket. If you don't understand interstate and or global goods transport then you are in no position to be trying lecture anyone on economics, as you obviously don't even understand supply and demand.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.