News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anyone want to do a small debate?

Started by dtq123, April 12, 2015, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

Topic: Defend your Position on which of the seven deadly sins the worst.

Constraints (Desired):
+ Only one sin for a person
+ Up to seven people max
+ "Evidence" may consist of more than studies and news articles. This may expand to songs, movies, and other stuff. Please provide quote or movie scene as needed.
+ Please break up text into 3-5 sentence paragraphs, with no more than 10 paragraphs per post.
+ No more than 2 posts at a time

Now shall we dance? I pick Sloth.

I am prone to bias, I understand that. Which is why I want this to be a little fun and make this informal.

You can expect replies to come from around 2:30 - 5:00pm PST on Daylight Savings.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Aroura33

This sounds fun.  I'm not great at debates either, so I appreciate you setting up this somewhat informal and fun one! 
Edited to say, I'll pick Envy.  I think it would be more interesting to try and argue that one.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Shiranu

I would consider arguing in favour of lust, as it is something I struggle very hard to not let dominate my thoughts, but I feel that it is also perhaps the easiest to argue in favour of (perhaps why I have such a hard time denying it).

I'll consider it if no one else wants to take it up. Just keep in mind I am at work and school from 8 in the morning till 10 at night, so it may be hard for me not to be brain dead by the time I get home...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

I would say pride is the worst from how proud religious people are about their beliefs.  "All is vanity!"

Pride (vanity) â€" A desire to be important or attractive to others or excessive love of self (holding self out of proper position toward God or fellows; Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor").

Pride is one of the worst sins on this list because it taints every virtue, and makes salvation much harder to obtain. Although the seven virtues counter each of the deadly sins, pride is the sin which is able to affect them all in a way that the others cannot.  Go through the list of virtues, and realize how horrid it is to mix in the sin of pride.

I think love should be the worst sin for all the pain it causes.  :eek: I still have a broken heart after twenty years.  :syda: :hang: :sad:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Pride is the worst because while all sin will separate you from god, god opposes the proud. (Proverbs 3:34)

AllPurposeAtheist

Pride indeed and it's far and beyond the most misunderstood and overused of ALL of the sins. It's used to justify all of the other sins.
Example:
I consume more because of my pride and therefore deserve it.. I'm hotter than anyone and my pride dictates my list..I'm to proud to lower myself to the level of the pions below me and on and on and on...
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

hrdlr110

Not even a page in and it seems we have a clear winner! Obviously anything that separates us from God must be a winner.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Icarus

Unfortunately I know someone who equally represents all of the 7 sins. We tend to lead towards one or two, it's actually impressive to meet someone who embodies them all so well.

dtq123

Quote from: Icarus on April 13, 2015, 09:39:39 PM
Unfortunately I know someone who equally represents all of the 7 sins. We tend to lead towards one or two, it's actually impressive to meet someone who embodies them all so well.
Which one do you embody?

Quote from: hrdlr110 on April 13, 2015, 09:23:45 PM
Not even a page in and it seems we have a clear winner! Obviously anything that separates us from God must be a winner.
I know right? Everything we want to do will separate us from god! Sex! Greed! And More Sex!

Note: The Following People Have Chosen A Sin
Shiranu: Lust
Aroura33: Envy
Hijiri Byakuren: Gluttony
Solitary: Vanity
Myself (dtq123): Sloth
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"

Mr.Obvious

No one's making a case for wrath?
Really?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Johan

I pick motherfucker. Oh wait, that's the wrong list of seven things.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Icarus

Quote from: dtq123 on April 13, 2015, 10:11:35 PM
Which one do you embody?
Pride with a touch of envy and greed. Pride and envy go hand in hand so it's not really that surprising.

Aroura33

Envy is clearly the worst, it is the root of suffering.  Envy makes people do cruel and selfish things, and makes them unhappy with what they have, the grass is always greener on the other side because of envy.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

dtq123

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 14, 2015, 09:43:23 PM
Envy is clearly the worst, it is the root of suffering.  Envy makes people do cruel and selfish things, and makes them unhappy with what they have, the grass is always greener on the other side because of envy.
I beg to differ, which is why I wanted this debate, other than what I have already said.
A dark cloud looms over.
What is this, "Justice?"