News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Used to like it, now can't stand it

Started by aitm, April 10, 2015, 07:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Use to love spring and pickled onions. Now can't stand any kind of onion.

In contrast, I use to hate all forms of seafood, but now love it, even oysters
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Desdinova

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2015, 02:38:36 PM
Pickled herring--that brings back memories.  My grandfather would eat a jar of those things as a snack.  I thought they were nasty as a kid--horrid to think of now.  But then he was from the old country and put sugar on his lettuce.  Put a sugar cube in his mouth to drink his coffee.  Loved blood sausage and pault.  Didn't like much of what he ate, but I sure loved that guy!

Used to eat sardines with my granddad.  He would put mustard on them and we would eat them with crackers.  Now I can't imagine eating those things.  All those crunchy little bones.  Nastay!
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

PickelledEggs

Television and commercials

something happened in the last couple years, I don't know what, but I can't stand television or commercials. Commercials that are supposed to be funny come off as extremely stupid, un-funny, and transparent. And television is a load of shit too. If there is a show I want to watch, I'll watch it on demand or on my computer so I don't have to deal with the rest of the shows or commercials.

Mike Cl

Anchovies on anything especially pizza. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

SGOS

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 10, 2015, 01:29:13 PM
Hey, interesting post, aitm.  I'm with you and pizza.  I used ot like it, now I get queasy anytime someone around me mentions we should get some. 

BTW, I'd like to point out this only counts for fast food pizza (Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc.).  I really enjoy pizzas made by real pizzarias, with good, fresh toppings that don't include canned olives and mushrooms (gag).

Oh, that's one, used ot love canned olves as a kid.  I could eat tons of them.  Now I am very grossed out by their metallic taste.

I used to like pickled herring, now I can't figure out HOW I even used to like that stuff, lol.

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2015, 02:38:36 PM
Pickled herring--that brings back memories.  My grandfather would eat a jar of those things as a snack.  I thought they were nasty as a kid--horrid to think of now.  But then he was from the old country and put sugar on his lettuce.

My grandfather used to by pickled herring in huge jars.   I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 to 10 pounds per jar.  He would put it on hard tack, which I can seldom find anymore, although there is a product called something like Wassa light that comes close.  I liked pickled herring as a kid and still do, but it has to be packed in wine sauce.  I think it has a special name, which I never really learned.  I can tell it's what I like by looking at it.  There's some other types of pickled herring that really turn me off, however.

My grandfather was from Sweden, and I think it was part of his heritage.  He proudly called himself a "herring choker".  He also had a beer delivery guy, sort of beer milkman.  The beer man had keys to our basement, and would wheel in 4 or 5 cases of beer, and take out the empties.  I'm not sure that has anything to do with herring, but while it seemed normal to have a beer guy with keys to your basement back then, I think it was probably a cultural thing like the herring.  I remember the name of the beer he drank.  It was called Yusay Pilson.  I've never seen it since I was a kid.

Mike Cl

SGOS--hardtack--love that stuff!  My grandmother used to make it and it was wonderful!  Real butter on hardtack!  Food of the gods!  My grandparents lived on a small farm north of Portland, Oregon and so could get quite a bit of the Swedish foods back in the day.  Seems there was a large number of immigrants from Sweden, Denmark and Norway there; especially Swedes.  Until about 25 yrs ago I could get Swedish hardtack from a Swedish store in Portland.  Now I can get a good version of it from Raleys here in town.  It comes in a round package and is a very good hardtack.  I remember my great uncle listening to Swedish language radio and then, treat of treats, Polka and Shaddish music.  Anyway, hardtack memories are good memories.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Honestly... I cant really think of anything. I've always had good taste in stuff, so I really don't dislike anything...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 10, 2015, 04:38:16 PM
I could get Swedish hardtack from a Swedish store in Portland.  Now I can get a good version of it from Raleys here in town.  It comes in a round package

Yeah it came in huge rounds like a small pizza.  I found some like that a few years ago.  It may have been in Petersburg, Alaska, which is a Norwegian community.

Mermaid

Pork chops are another thing on the list. I used to love them on the grill. They sort of make me gag now.

I think it has something to do with hormones, my tastes in food have changed drastically over the last 5 or so years.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

trdsf

Queen.  Loved 'em in the late 70s.  At best indifferent to them now.  Can't think of the last time I listened to 'A Night at the Opera' -- but it was some time around when I was in college, so early 80s -- and I'm not even sure I still have my old copy anymore.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Aroura33

Quote from: PickelledEggs on April 10, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
Television and commercials

something happened in the last couple years, I don't know what, but I can't stand television or commercials. Commercials that are supposed to be funny come off as extremely stupid, un-funny, and transparent. And television is a load of shit too. If there is a show I want to watch, I'll watch it on demand or on my computer so I don't have to deal with the rest of the shows or commercials.
You know what happened?  You got old.....lol.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Aroura33 on April 10, 2015, 08:43:06 PM
You know what happened?  You got old.....lol.

FUCK.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl