News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is wicca a fake religion

Started by Ace101, March 29, 2015, 03:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 05:39:30 PM
Jesus Christ, what a lot of horseshit - most people who are Christian grew up being taught it from a young age - most people who are Wiccan just 'decide one day' to start worshiping ancient pagan gods who no one believes in - huge difference. There's no effort to 'recruit' people into being Wiccans, or 'provide proof' that their religion is true - like there is in Christianity or Islam. I think the majority of them are just rebellious teens (and adults) who want negative attention and don't really believe any of it.
Yep, I've been at it for 20 years, it must be a phase.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Aletheia

Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

stromboli

So what's the deal here, Ace? come on the forum and see how many people you can piss off before getting booted? If you want to make comments about stuff why don't you first look it up. wikipedia, google, that kind of shit. Every religion from our viewpoint can be looked at as fake because they are based on supernatural beliefs.

Strangely enough, Wicca also includes knowledge of herbal medicines and belief in natural cycles and a natural lifestyle to go with it. All in all a fairly healthy lifestyle that does not, to my knowledge, impinge on anyone's rights. It is also based on very ancient pagan beliefs that predate most religions. Really ought to find this shit out before you join the forum and start spouting your opinions. We like to think we are informed people. Something that doesn't seem to work in your world.

(edit) So twink for brains is a Deist and he is bad mouthing Wicca? Stromboli will see where this goes......  :popcorn:

Ace101

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on March 29, 2015, 08:03:40 PM
Yep, I've been at it for 20 years, it must be a phase.
Not everyone grows out of it then

I seriously doubt though that you intellectually honestly believe that any of these pagan gods or magic rituals are real - why else would you post on an atheism website?

Ace101

Quote from: stromboli on March 29, 2015, 08:46:32 PM
So what's the deal here, Ace? come on the forum and see how many people you can piss off before getting booted? If you want to make comments about stuff why don't you first look it up. wikipedia, google, that kind of shit. Every religion from our viewpoint can be looked at as fake because they are based on supernatural beliefs.

Strangely enough, Wicca also includes knowledge of herbal medicines and belief in natural cycles and a natural lifestyle to go with it. All in all a fairly healthy lifestyle that does not, to my knowledge, impinge on anyone's rights. It is also based on very ancient pagan beliefs that predate most religions. Really ought to find this shit out before you join the forum and start spouting your opinions. We like to think we are informed people. Something that doesn't seem to work in your world.
Are you a Wiccan? - why would an atheist be pissed off over a 'religion' that claims to practice magic? Or are you just 'defending' it because 'Christians don't like it '?

(edit) So twink for brains is a Deist and he is bad mouthing Wicca? Stromboli will see where this goes......  :popcorn:
Deism doesn't contradict science - belief in magic and pagan rituals does, as do all theistic versions of god

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 03:39:51 PM
I have a hard time believing that any members of this "religion" seriously believe in these ancient pagan gods, or in "magic" or anything else - to me it's more like a "live action fantasy role playing club" than an actual religion - what say you?
What makes wicca more fake than christianity or judaism?

Ace101

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 29, 2015, 10:05:17 PM
What makes wicca more fake than christianity or judaism?
Basically how many people seriously believe its real, versus how many people do it 'just for fun'

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 10:06:49 PM
Basically how many people seriously believe its real, versus how many people do it 'just for fun'

What about the people that seriously believe wicca is real

Ace101

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 29, 2015, 10:09:23 PM
What about the people that seriously believe wicca is real
I've never heard of any myself.

Never heard of Wiccas getting into 'debates' trying to convince others of their faith, or trying to find 'proof' of their Gods' origins like creationists do.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 10:11:55 PM

Never heard of Wiccas getting into 'debates' trying to convince others of their faith, or trying to find 'proof' of their Gods' origins like creationists do.
And that means they don't exist? because you never heard of them?

Ok... so lets get past your unawareness of people that believe in wicca and just go off of:

what makes wicca any less of a religion than christianity/judiaism/islam if they have people that believe it?

stromboli

Deism argues for the existence of a god. God is a supernatural being. Deism is a religion. A deist criticizing Wicca is no different than a Catholic criticizing a Muslim and has exactly as much weight or proof behind it as any of those beliefs.

Wicca is based on Pagan beliefs that predate most modern religions. Wicca is a religion that believes in nature, natural processes and natural healing.

QuoteDeism (/ˈdiː.ɪzÉ™m/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzÉ™m/, derived from the Latin word deus meaning "god") combines a rejection of religious knowledge as a source of authority with the conclusion that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a single creator of the universe.[3][4][5][6][7] Deism gained prominence among intellectuals during the Age of Enlightenment â€" especially in Britain, France, Germany and the United States â€" who, raised as Christians, believed in one god but became disenchanted with organized religion and notions such as the Trinity, Biblical inerrancy and the supernatural interpretation of events such as miracles.[8] Included in those influenced by its ideas were leaders of the American and French Revolutions.[9]

Nice definition. Uses the words "reason" and "Natural". News flash- it is still based on conjecture without proof and is still, as Aletheia pointed out, the pot calling the kettle black.

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: Ace101 on March 29, 2015, 10:11:55 PM

That's not how you tell if someone really believes.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Solitary

Hey Ace! Educate yourself! Wiccans believe in magic, and Christians believe in a magic man in the sky that magically created the earth and universe and answers prayers.    https://youtu.be/xF4DsggUcPc
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

trdsf

It seemed real enough when I was a practicing Wiccan.  Just like Catholicism seemed real enough when I was a practicing Catholic.  Turns out they both have equal footing in reality: not much.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solitary

:biggrin2: Here is an example of excess energy and getting rid of it by a former Wiccan: https://youtu.be/yRZ9pcKzgaI
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.