Bill Maher To PC Liberals: “Shut Up”

Started by SGOS, March 28, 2015, 05:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Mermaid, I followed you on the forum and like you. I just disagree that religion is not our problem and we should mind our own business, because it is our business. To knock it off it's pedestal as a sacred cow that can't be criticized is our duty as civilized human beings that don't need superstitious nonsense to be good people. When people think that their beliefs are more important than sentient living creatures they need to be controlled. When these beliefs are more important to them that they are willing to die or kill for them they are as wrong as one can be, and don't deserve any respect whether it is for religious, non religious beliefs, or political beliefs, in my opinion or not. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

I agree with you, Solitary. And I am not saying that religion is not our problem, it's definitely a problem! In no way am I willing to treat it as a sacred cow.

I think it's sucks what people justify using the Bible. I want to silence these destructive, foolish people. Bringing down airplanes and passing anti-gay legislation makes me sick to my stomach like anyone else.

But at a very base level, it's people telling each other how to live their lives. Religious people telling others how to live their lives is what I loathe and detest about religion. It would make me a hypocrite to proselytize against it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

Quote from: Brian37 on March 29, 2015, 08:20:58 AM
Um no, especially on the issue of religion, religion needs to be knocked off it's pedestal. No not get rid off, but it does not get a taboo status. You have assholes in Indiana discriminating against gays, you have things like Hebdo and all the violence in the middle east. I am with Bill, fuck PC it does not help the way people think it will help.

"Toxic is what religion does, what leads to bigotry and violence.

I never said we should be PC, simply not immature and disrespectful.

You are free to enjoy Bill Maher as much as you want, or to use that style of delivery. I just do not find it effective, either as a tool to enact change or to improve one's own morality, therefor I do not enjoy it as I use to.

I'm not judging anyone for liking him, just like I don't judge people for liking music I don't like. I just find respect a better tool for change than being an asshole.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

:biggrin2: You would be correct if you were proselytizing to them, but being critical of their religion and the evil it does is not. I don't think anyone here is against a religion when it does good, but when it does horrendous cruelty and harm in the name of their religion or God it is evil. If they want to believe in a magical man in the sky fine, but to think they know what He wants from ancient Scriptures is not only stupid thinking it is knowledge when it is from ignorance, but as evil as one can get. You are not being a hypocrite criticizing religion anymore than you would by criticizing a child rapist and killer. Solitary

Mermaid

Shiranu put it much better than I could have.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Brian37

Quote from: Mermaid on March 29, 2015, 10:41:14 AM
While I agree with what he says, he's disrespectful. Being disrespectful is doing the same thing in the opposite direction. While Religulous was very good, it was also hard to watch because of this.

Proselytizing either way is not going to solve any problems.

Nope and bullshit, you, not Bill are part of the problem. Bill isn't nor has or ever will demand laws outlawing religion, or murder someone because he gets offended. Do not equate what Bill is doing as equal to violence in the name of religion. Getting cussed out is not a death sentence, it merely means you got offended.

The stupid part of your good intent is you don't seem to understand you start playing that game of deciding what is or is not offensive, all 7 billion humans could think of reasons to silence others.

Bill is what we need more of. Islam needs more Bill Mahers who leave it at blasphemy. If you don't like Islam getting violent over mere images or words, then don't crap on the people rightfully condemning that behavior. Now again, go back and read that article, that is a MUSLIM agreeing with Bill, NOT YOU.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Here is why Bill does what he does......
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=7425.0 That is one example. Why should such an absurd claim be given any pass?

The dark ages would be another. 9/11 would be another. Vatican hiding child molesters would be another. Abortion clinic bombers would be another.

Humans have rights, but ideas as claims do not deserve blind value.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

I never said we should be PC, simply not immature and disrespectful.

You are free to enjoy Bill Maher as much as you want, or to use that style of delivery. I just do not find it effective, either as a tool to enact change or to improve one's own morality, therefor I do not enjoy it as I use to.

I'm not judging anyone for liking him, just like I don't judge people for liking music I don't like. I just find respect a better tool for change than being an asshole.

So Bill or anyone that criticizes religion or radical liberalism is being an asshole. This is exactly what he was talking about: liberals and atheists criticizing each other as being assholes because they won't be nice to religion or the hypocrites in their religion. You really think being nice to radical beliefs is the way for change? Good luck with that! All they care about is their superstitious nonsense and could care less about being human beings instead of being self righteous pricks. Solitary 

Brian37

Quote from: Mermaid on March 29, 2015, 01:35:40 PM
No. That's not at all what I mean.

I feel the same way you do about how many fucked up things are done in the name of religion. I also think judgment and proselytizing is at the center of that. If everyone just minded their business and quit trying to control what other people do on either side of the fence, the world would be a much better place.

Stop using the word "Proselytizing" when referring to what Bill is doing. If you agree that people do fucked up shit in the name of religion, THEN GET THE FUCK OUT OF BILL'S WAY.

Bill has a thick skin, he doesn't care if people do not like him. He doesn't murder people in the name of Atheism and he could give a shit less if you pick on his beliefs. Now, when religion itself gets to his point then he will shut up.

You are not helping the oppressed by telling him to be politically correct. That lady in that article A MUSLIM would disagree with you. Ayaan Hirsi Ali lives under threat of death for her criticism of Islam's treatment of women. Those are the types of people you do not help by saying the west should always play nice with their words.

Mermaid

Quote from: Brian37 on March 29, 2015, 04:23:27 PM
Nope and bullshit, you, not Bill are part of the problem. Bill isn't nor has or ever will demand laws outlawing religion, or murder someone because he gets offended. Do not equate what Bill is doing as equal to violence in the name of religion. Getting cussed out is not a death sentence, it merely means you got offended.

The stupid part of your good intent is you don't seem to understand you start playing that game of deciding what is or is not offensive, all 7 billion humans could think of reasons to silence others.

Bill is what we need more of. Islam needs more Bill Mahers who leave it at blasphemy. If you don't like Islam getting violent over mere images or words, then don't crap on the people rightfully condemning that behavior. Now again, go back and read that article, that is a MUSLIM agreeing with Bill, NOT YOU.
Hey, thanks for calling me stupid.

Brian37

What is wrong with Bill saying "You're being a dick," over and over, are you saying religious people are not capable of doing dickish things to their fellow humans? Why should he stop repeating that? And what motivates those people to do horrible things?

Solitary

He didn't call you stupid, he said your comment was. This is what Bill Maher was talking about: infighting among liberals and atheists trying to be nice and not nice to religious BS.  :wall: Solitary

Brian37

Quote from: Mermaid on March 29, 2015, 04:50:57 PM
Hey, thanks for calling me stupid.

You are not stupid, your logic is however. You are more worried about the non violent person Bill is because he uses offensive words. You should be more concerned with the violence people do and get those justifications from their holy books which YOU just admitted they can and do.

Mermaid

Quote from: Brian37 on March 29, 2015, 04:55:02 PM
What is wrong with Bill saying "You're being a dick," over and over, are you saying religious people are not capable of doing dickish things to their fellow humans? Why should he stop repeating that? And what motivates those people to do horrible things?
No, I am not saying that by any means.

I think you're too nasty to have this conversation with right now. Perhaps I have not been clear with my feelings, but I think this is a conversation left to another time. And yes, Solitary, I do believe he did call me stupid. Not productive.

Mermaid

Quote from: Brian37 on March 29, 2015, 04:57:10 PM
You are not stupid, your logic is however. You are more worried about the non violent person Bill is because he uses offensive words. You should be more concerned with the violence people do and get those justifications from their holy books which YOU just admitted they can and do.
I am quite concerned about that. I never admitted anything of the sort. I think you are badly misunderstanding me.