Immediate Backlash From Indiana Bill

Started by stromboli, March 26, 2015, 08:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

I honestly don't see how anything can be gained by such a law. All you have done is cause people with a conscience to bail out of doing business there, allowing bigots to self identify and lose business, generate a pile of lawsuits and spend all your legal funds defending an indefensible law. And in the meantime any person either sympathetic to or themselves gay or atheist look to move elsewhere.

Munch

Yep, it's such a peaceful, loving religion, it has the image of its saviour dying a slow, agonising death as its symbol.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

Good point!  :super: If there was a picture of a primitive tribe in the Amazon that had a symbol they worshiped like that everyone would be in an outrage, and yet because we are so used to seeing it we forget what it really means---kill people that preach love like our modern counterparts have been. People don't want to satisfy their higher feelings and emotions like empathy and love, they want to satisfy their primitive reptilian feelings and emotions like bigotry, prejudice, hate, based on 2,000+ years of primitive, cruel, and insane Text.  :oak: :vegetasmiley: :pirate: :sick: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on March 27, 2015, 03:31:21 PM
Yeah, but you can't compare Islam with Christianity, since Christianity is the real religion of peace.  It's so loving, accepting, and would never demand compliance to it's dogma from others.  It's just not the same.
I'm sending you an invoice for replacing the sarcasm meter you just broke.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on March 27, 2015, 07:35:30 PM
I'm sending you an invoice for replacing the sarcasm meter you just broke.  :D
Oops!

stromboli

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

I'm seeing articles all over my home page about the backlash to Indiana.  Now the leaders in Indiana are saying the backlash is overblown.  Well, of course they're going to say that.  Bigots always say they aren't bigots:  "Don't worry everyone.  Our intentions are only good.  We want everyone to be treated fairly.  We are only trying to protect the rights of Christians."

This is like a comedy.  I want to laugh, except this involves others of my own species who want to return to the Dark Ages.  More and more I'm agreeing with Christopher Hitchens:  "Religion poisons everything" (or at least it poisons enough to foul society with it's pervading stench).  And then these sanctimonious idiots parade around like they are holier than everyone else, while they alone are bound for an eternal Disneyland filled with more sanctimonious judges and control freaks like themselves.  Religion wouldn't be so bad if they would quit trying to micromanage everyone else's lives.

Brian37

I warn people not to get stuck on labels, these attempts at turning back the clock are an unfortunate part of our species behavior in evolution. The Cosmos series with Neil  in almost every episode showed the reaction of the powers when others challenged social norms. Humans do not like their perceptions challenged.

This is a desperate act just like the fundies of the Middle East with the only difference being a secular leash preventing our right wingers from all out oppression.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37