News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

101 reasons not to be an atheist

Started by Logical One, March 26, 2015, 06:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moralnihilist

Free speech only allows the right to say something, it DOES NOT guarantee you a place to do it. You might want to check your facts before looking like more of an idiot than you already do. Remember "it is best to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Solitary

Let's be nice, he or she, is a "good" Christian trying to save us from perdition, and we are bad atheists taking away his security blanket and good feelings from a belief in magic.  :naughty: :biggrin2:  :madu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

kilodelta

Quote from: Solitary on March 27, 2015, 11:14:47 AM
Let's be nice, he or she, is a "good" Christian trying to save us from perdition, and we are bad atheists taking away his security blanket and good feelings from a belief in magic.  :naughty: :biggrin2:  :madu:

We're also taking away his freedom of speech...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on March 27, 2015, 11:14:47 AM

This put me in mind of a recent bible reloaded episode, where Hugo brought up how when it comes to popular media on tv or in movies, whenever the subject of atheism comes up, you almost never see an example of atheists held in a positive light. Its always the same kind of plot, where a religious character is having their beliefs brought into question, and the counterpoint to this is almost always an asshole of an atheist who makes the sweet little theist doubt themselves, until the end of the story where they find god, and even convinces the atheist he was wrong.

Atheists are always written either as the antagonist to the "poor suffering oppressed theist", or they are written as a background character holding no importance to the plot. Apparently just having it that their isn't anything after you die doesn't make for good plot devices, so it always needs some kind of spiritual ascension.

This is also why movies like gods not dead are such a fucking joke, because it acts like Christians think they are the ones who are underrepresented in modern day media.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

9. Atheists don't have a large voting block in the US.

Munch

Quote from: kilodelta on March 27, 2015, 01:31:32 PM
9. Atheists don't have a large voting block in the US.

ah, remember, its got to be reasons why not to be an atheist.

So it would be.. We'd get to join the majority in the voting block :D

kilodelta

Yeah. Being part of a majority voting block would be a benefit. I mean, a politician can gain voters by just saying something positive about gawd. Atheists would probably lose voters if they stated, "I'd like to thank those involved and not the imaginary gods people believe in."

TrueStory

Reasons not to be an atheist:

10.  I can commit crimes and simply repent for forgiveness to feel better about the horrible things i've done.
11. I get to interperate my holy book of ideas however i want to so I can justify how I live my life.
12. I get to use my personal experice as proof for how the world works.
13. I get to belong to a large group of people who beleive the same thing I do, and even if they don't exactly beleive the same thing I still feel good about it as if they did.
14.  I'm allowed to follow exactly what my parents taught to me as soon as I was born and not have to question things in life that might upset me.
15.  I get to wear cool fashion accesories
16. I get to pick and choose how magic works.

This game is so easy. 

Maybe it should say, One would not, instead of I.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

kilodelta

17. I can gain support from others by saying God spoke to me.

Atheon

18. I don't have to over-tax my brain cells with hard tasks like thinking.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

19. I don't have to worry about how to lead my life. I just follow the commands of my guru.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

20: I get to spend my sunday not having a lay in after a hard week at work, drive to the nearest church, and give it the money I earned from that week :D

kilodelta

21. I can fight a war and be reassured that my death would be a good thing.

Mr.Obvious

22. Atheists don't get to have such an inflated sense of self-importance that they believe The allmighty creator of The universe, The perfect all knowing all-good and all-powerfull suprème ruler of all in existance, created them especially, so he could have a personal relationship, just with them.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

kilodelta

23. I could fight a war and let God sort out the evil enemy combatants and innocent bystanders.