News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

101 reasons not to be an atheist

Started by Logical One, March 26, 2015, 06:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logical One

Its only fair this forum have the other end of the spectrum, (you know the stupid part that is religion). Censoring so would be a violation of free speech (even though I admit I am pretty fucking stupid), and prove the forum only allows one side of an argument.(despite the fact that I have only read one thread so I must be a fucking expert about this place) I'll start:
1. It gives no hope for the afterlife. (because after all, an after life after a miserable life here would certainly be a fucking improvement eh? LOLOOL)

mildly edited by aitm

GrinningYMIR

You say it like the afterlife is something inherently good...what if we don't want an afterlife? The idea of eternally burning in hellfire isn't an appealing one, and the idyllic paradise for some could be brain melting and terrorizing for others.

Not my thing
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

dtq123

2. The truth hurts, unlike the delusions of many.  :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Logical One

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on March 26, 2015, 06:48:42 PM

You say it like the afterlife is something inherently good...what if we don't want an afterlife? The idea of eternally burning in hellfire isn't an appealing one, and the idyllic paradise for some could be brain melting and terrorizing for others.

Not my thing
The knowledge that everything ends after death is negative for most. Sure some people may like it, but then again some people also like to be whipped, that doesn't mean it's not a bad thing.

Hijiri Byakuren

3. The Chocolate Death cookies we hand out to all new arrivals may give you diabetes.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

dtq123

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 26, 2015, 06:53:20 PM
3. The Chocolate Death cookies we hand out to all new arrivals may give you diabetes.
Trust me, I am one :eyes:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

GrinningYMIR

4. I don't have the benefit of not being hated by a majority of the planet for existing
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Quote from: Logical One on March 26, 2015, 06:45:01 PM
Its only fair this forum have the other end of the spectrum. Censoring so would be a violation of free speech and prove the forum only allows one side of an argument. I'll start:
1. It gives no hope for the afterlife.
What afterlife?  Any proof there is an afterlife????  One can hope for an afterlife without believing in a god/gods.  If it is natural, it will happen.  If it is supernatural, it is simply the wishful thinking of some.  I do not base anything I do on an afterlife.  I treat people with respect and kindness now, not because of a supposed reward after I die, but because of the reward it affords me in the here and now.  Simply, the afterlife is not knowable.  After I die I'll know--or not.  I'll come to that then--not dwell on it now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

Its only fair this forum have the other end of the spectrum. Censoring so would be a violation of free speech and prove the forum only allows one side of an argument. I'll start:

I'm an atheists follower of Buddha's original teachings, and I'm being reincarnated as a lesbian just to piss off so many homophobic Christians. What's that say about an atheists has no hope for an after life?  Most atheists know that life is like a candle flame being blown out, and he doesn't have to put up with religious nuts in hell for eternity, who for some reason think they are not going to die or go to hell if they kiss God's ass. "Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, creeps in this petty pace from day to day, to the last syllable of recorded time, and all our yesterdays have lighted FOOLS the way to dusty death.

Out! Out! brief candle, life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his time on stage. It is a story told by an IDIOT full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." When churches or the Church censor books and movies are you saying they are violating free speech proving they only want to allow one side of the argument?  Are you absolutely convinced you won't burn in hell for eternity if you are worshiping the wrong God, the originators of the Tora which became the Old Testament never had a hell. You are not speaking to the choir here. You have already committed the ORIGINAL sin, and a few mortal sins while being here. God is watching you judging us, and He will judge you! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

I see your using the 'its against my free speech' bs to now tout this.

You seem to forget this is an atheist forum, made by atheists, and the only reason your still here is because, as someone else said, having an echo chamber can get a bit samey. That doesn't stop trolls from being banned.

But since we're playing this game

5: In not being an atheist, I get to spend my "eternal existence" in a make believe castle in the sky with people like Ted Cruz and Phil Robertson, while having my sexual orientation constricted forever.. oh WON'T THAT BE FUN :D
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GrinningYMIR

6. I don't get to enjoy being cramped up in formal clothes in a hot room listening to a guy rant about how bad of a creature I am

GSOgymrat

You have no idea what you are talking about.

stromboli

Neither does your religion. You are a Christian. Hail Zeus, god of all!

Gawdzilla Sama

Well fucking duh!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Logical One on March 26, 2015, 06:50:36 PM
The knowledge that everything ends after death is negative for most. Sure some people may like it, but then again some people also like to be whipped, that doesn't mean it's not a bad thing.
Some damn fools spend the only life they get on getting ready for a second life they won't get. That's not stupid, that's beyond stupid.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers