News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Logical One, March 26, 2015, 06:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logical One

I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in judging others based on my own beliefs. No one knows the true word of God, yet many Christians will claim they know so despite contradicting the Bible in many instances. I enjoy the cultural aspect of Christianity, yet I will admit that I have no evidence to base this off of. I just have faith, and as long as I'm not harming anyone because of it I don't think it's a bad thing.

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

I noticed several of your posts already. While you seem to be at least trying to put a more rational level to certain debates, same things in some of your posts seems to indicate you forget one very important factor about people here, there are many atheists on this website who were Christians, or theists before becoming atheist or agnostic, and in some of your posts you seem to be undermining what they know already about the faith they left.

I appreciate you being more debatable so far, but theres gonna be some toes you might tread on. I never had a real belief in god to begin with so I didn't lose much when becoming an atheist (not that losing a belief in a fictitious character is losing much)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Logical One on March 26, 2015, 06:40:06 PM
I'm a Christian who doesn't believe in judging others based on my own beliefs. No one knows the true word of God, yet many Christians will claim they know so despite contradicting the Bible in many instances. I enjoy the cultural aspect of Christianity, yet I will admit that I have no evidence to base this off of. I just have faith, and as long as I'm not harming anyone because of it I don't think it's a bad thing.
Welcome, Logical.  I hope you stick around; it will be hard going for you, but I think you know that.  So, suck it up and keep on going.  But do so with at least a small attempt to see the counterpoints to your points. 

I have tried to be a theist most of my life.  I wanted to believe when I was much younger--and I tried all sorts of shoes--Southern Assembly of God, Southern Baptist, Methodist,  and Unity to name a few.  I talked and prayed and studied about the Bible and being Christian.  But the more I studied and prayed, the more organized religion made less and less sense.  And now, the idea of a god/gods makes no sense in any way for me.  I hate to label myself atheist, for that only says a little about what I don't believe, and nothing about what I do believe.  I would like you to try to understand that atheists are not in the least of a common or like mind, except in the knowledge that god does not exist.  Beyond that, there is no common point of view.  Also, for me belief and sincerity matter little--it is knowledge and reason that matter the most. 

Anyway, welcome and stick around.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jason78

Welcome to the forum.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solomon Zorn

I do wish you would have started here, I feel like I'm late to the conversation.

Okay, a non-literalist on the Bible? Is that fair to say?

I was a literalist, before I worked out the truth, that it's all a late first-century legend, based on a Jewish myth.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Mike Cl

Looks like he's in one day and out the next.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Brian37

Quote from: Logical One on March 26, 2015, 06:40:06 PM

Atheists do appreciate the softer approach, but our blasphemy and bluntness with some individuals, like me, is not about you personally as an individual. It is aimed at people who use law and or violence to oppress others. Outside that we too are individuals as well.

"Atheist" is not a moral code, it is not a loyalty oath, it is not a political party, it is not an economic view. I have run into atheists online who own guns, I hate guns. I know atheists who value Ayn Rand (libertarian/republican) views that screw workers over. I also know others who stupidly think you can rid 7 billion humans of the private sector.

No one is judging you personally, but ideas and claims by themselves do not deserve blind value. Treat everyone here as an individual and you should have a longer stay. Take what we do here personally and you might have a harder time here.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

aitm

I believe in Jesus Christ as he is described in the babble….well, almost all of it…I admit a certain amount of dexterity with the verses as they can be manipulated to whatever I think they should say….so suffice it to say that I believe in Jesus Christ,,,well, at least his ankles, legs mid section, shoulders and his neck…the rest? meh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust