News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hugo Chavez Dead at 58

Started by Agramon, March 05, 2013, 05:26:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agramon

What happens to Venezuela next?

QuoteVenezuela's President Hugo Chavez has died, his vice-president has announced.

Mr Chavez had not appeared in public since he returned to Venezuela last month after cancer treatment in Cuba.

An emotional Nicolas Maduro made the announcement on Tuesday evening, flanked by leading Venezuelan political and military leaders.

Earlier, he said the 58-year-old Venezuelan leader had a new, severe respiratory infection and had entered "his most difficult hours".

He also announced the government had expelled two US diplomats from the country for spying on Venezuela's military.

Mr Maduro said Mr Chavez had died "after battling a tough illness for nearly two years".

He said he had no doubt that Mr Chavez's cancer, first diagnosed in 2011, had been induced by foul play by Venezuela's enemies.

Venezuelan radio reported that military had been deployed across the country.

Under the constitution, the head of Venezuela's Congress, Diosdado Cabello, will assume the interim presidency before an election is held.

Cuba surgery

One of the most visible, vocal and controversial leaders in Latin America, Hugo Chavez won the presidency in 1998 and had most recently won another six-year presidential term in October 2012.

Last May, the former army paratrooper said he had recovered from an unspecified cancer, after undergoing surgery and chemotherapy in 2011 and a further operation in February 2012.

However, in December 2012, he announced he needed further cancer surgery in Cuba, and named his Vice-President, Nicolas Maduro, as his preferred successor should the need arise.

Mr Chavez remained out of public view, finally returning to Venezuela in February.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-21679053
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Davka

About fucking time.

billhilly

Quote from: "Davka"About fucking time.

Yep.

Rejak

A sad day for Venezuela hugo did much good for the poorest in his country which are most of the people of Venezuela. Big oil didn't like him and US propaganda did not treat him kindly because he was not a US puppet and tried for social justice. Using oil money to educate the poor. Whatever you think  of him anyone who Pat Robertson prays to god to assassinate can't be all bad!

AllPurposeAtheist

I never did buy the official US line about Chavez. He may have been a bit of a rogue, but pissing on Bush's Cheerio's earned him at least a few cookies in my book.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Thumpalumpacus

Good riddance.  Whoever survives the inevitable power struggle, I doubt he's gonna be all milk-and-cookies over democratic reform, though.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Atheon

I liked the way he rankled right-wingers in the US.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Jmpty

Quote from: "Rejak"A sad day for Venezuela hugo did much good for the poorest in his country which are most of the people of Venezuela. Big oil didn't like him and US propaganda did not treat him kindly because he was not a US puppet and tried for social justice. Using oil money to educate the poor. Whatever you think  of him anyone who Pat Robertson prays to god to assassinate can't be all bad!

This.
???  ??

Brian37

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

surly74

God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

surly74

Quote from: "Davka"About fucking time.

why? What was the problem with Chavez running Venezuela?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Jmpty"
Quote from: "Rejak"A sad day for Venezuela hugo did much good for the poorest in his country which are most of the people of Venezuela. Big oil didn't like him and US propaganda did not treat him kindly because he was not a US puppet and tried for social justice. Using oil money to educate the poor. Whatever you think  of him anyone who Pat Robertson prays to god to assassinate can't be all bad!

This.

I agree.  He was no saint, but too many people jumped on the right wing bandwagon of hatred against him.

Jmpty

If you haven't watched Oliver Stone's film, "South Of The Border," you really should. If you think you know what goes on in South America, think again.
???  ??

Shiranu

Shit, compared to what our politicans do he WAS a saint. Hopefully Venezuela can get someone even better.

Edit: To expand: He cut poverty in half in Venezuela, reduced infant mortality AND the VEnezuelan economic disparity is HALF of what the United States is (something we are number one in, woot woot!...).

Not a perfect man, but he was demonized because he didn't bow down, kiss America's ass and do exactly what we told him to do... and thats why we tried to overthrow him. When you look at really just how disfunctional, corrupt and full of poor/staving/etc. people our nation is, when you look at our growing disregard for civil liberties... to me I have a hard time feeling I have a moral high ground to talk about about how "terrible" he was.

Edit Edit: And to further expand, because this is a peeve of mine... we support FAR WORSE foreign politicans who treat their people FAR worse than Chavez and talk about how "amazing" they are... so no, I cant vilianize him.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Shiranu"Not a perfect man, but he was demonized because he didn't bow down, kiss America's ass and do exactly what we told him to do... and thats why we tried to overthrow him.

Yes indeed.  Look what happened in Chile.  If Chavez had been overthrown like Allende it wouldn't have been that surprising to see another ogre like Pinochet installed in his place.  Good job, America.   :roll: