The Most Godless City in America

Started by SGOS, March 25, 2015, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Portland, Oregon, but atheists are still in a minority.  I had friends there once upon a time, and have visited there often.  If I were cut out for city life, I would probably live there.  But there's more to Portland than just being "godless".  It's also very environmentally friendly and progressive.  One quote below talks about atheists wanting to move there because they can feel more comfortable.  Well maybe, but that sounds like a statement tailored to fit the article.  There's lots of reasons to like Portland.  It's a nice city that is wonderfully forward thinking.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-the-most-godless-city-in-america-2015-03-24?siteid=yhoof2

QuoteIf you don’t believe in God, you might want to move to the Pacific Northwest.

Portland, Ore., is No. 1 on the list of metropolitan areas with the most religiously unaffiliated residents (42%), according to the nonpartisan and nonprofit Public Religion Research Institute’s American Values Atlas, a survey of 50,000 people. Seattle and San Francisco were tied at second place (with 33%) on the list, and Denver (32%) and Phoenix (26%) were third and fourth.

On the other end of the spectrum, Nashville was the metropolitan area with the fewest people without any religious affiliation (15%), followed by Charlotte, N.C. (17%), and Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando and Pittsburgh (all with 18%).

Why the regional differences? “Portland is quirky and different, and very attractive to people who may not feel comfortable in other social environments, particularly with a stigma against those who are atheists,” says Daniel Cox, research director at the Public Religion Research Institute.

Mike Cl

Portland is my hometown, but I've only lived in the city for 3 yrs.  But I've visited it often.  And my grandparents met and married there, then move to a small town Scappoose, 20 miles north and bought a small farm.  That was my 'return to' place for most of my life.  Anyway, I've always loved Portland.  For a big city (and counting all the burbs that neighbor it, it have well over a million) it is very easy to get around in.  I love the weather because I like rain.  From Portland one can get to the coast in under two hours; Mt. Hood is right there; and the Columbia River Gorge is one of the wonders of nature.  The high desert is about 2 hrs. away.  It has always been progressive in it's politics (as is Oregon) and it has the largest bookstore in the world--Powell's Bookstore--a large sq. block and 3 stories up; that is an all day affair for me. :)  No, it is not perfect,  and no I'm not a big city guy--but I could easily live in Portland.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Oh yeah, I forgot to list Powell's Bookstore.  I love that place.

stromboli

Bookstores. That was what I liked about Boston.

Atheon

Berkeley should be up there. But then there are Hare Krishnas and other cultists. Still, it's a damn liberal place.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Yeah.  What the headline really means is "the most godless city [that we looked at]." 

But it did mention San Francisco.  Does that include Berkeley? 

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2015, 10:35:28 AM
Yeah.  What the headline really means is "the most godless city [that we looked at]." 

But it did mention San Francisco.  Does that include Berkeley?
Not according to those who live in Berkeley.  Berkeley does have a damn fine rib house--been there several times, but I can't remember the name. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2015, 10:48:01 AM
Not according to those who live in Berkeley.  Berkeley does have a damn fine rib house--been there several times, but I can't remember the name. :)
Rib houses are always nationally renowned, it seems.  They have names like "Famous Dave's" and "Famous Pete's".  It doesn't make any difference whether it's a chain or one single restaurant.  It's famous, like "Oh yeah, I think I've heard of that place.  It's that famous guy's place." 

This mostly applies to rib joints.  But I digress.

GSOgymrat

stromboli

Don't want to rain on the parade, but I happen to know it is also a hotbed of Mormonism.  :eek:

SGOS

Quote from: stromboli on March 25, 2015, 11:33:29 AM
Don't want to rain on the parade, but I happen to know it is also a hotbed of Mormonism.  :eek:
I think you must be talking about a Mormon cousin of mine.  He's from Portland, but he's like a loser or something, because his brother from Salt Lake City would always bitch about him.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 25, 2015, 11:28:35 AM
I can't think of Portland without thinking of Portlandia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCDbY_lXS5A

Yeah, that program did capture some of the feel of Portland.  My computer seems to be running OK, but Utube is running in ultra slow motion today for some reason.  So I can't enjoy the video.  Darn.

Atheon

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 25, 2015, 10:48:01 AM
Everett & Jones Barbeque?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on March 25, 2015, 11:54:19 AM
Everett & Jones Barbeque?
I think I've heard of them.  They're famous or something, right?

Atheon

Quote from: SGOS on March 25, 2015, 12:00:18 PM
I think I've heard of them.  They're famous or something, right?
Locally famous. Local chain (6 locations, I think). And damn good.