News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Universe

Started by Solitary, March 22, 2015, 10:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on March 22, 2015, 12:12:23 PM
I have never heard of Brian Cox, but I'd keep my eye on this guy.
I'm kind of shocked that there's anyone who hasn't heard of Brian Cox... he has a regular program(me) on BBC Radio 4 that would never get aired in America because they are openly mocking of both religion and other forms of superstition, and it's all available online as a podcast.  And it's freakin' hilarious.  Some of the early ones before they started appearing before a live audience drag a little, but not so much that they're unlistenable.  And they've had great guests, an even mix of comedians and scientists, although primarily British.  There have been a few Americans -- Neil Degrasse Tyson and SETI researcher Seth Shostak come to mind.  Highly, highly, highly recommended.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Brian37

Uggggggg. people do take that show seriously, way too seriously. I am on another website and without even mentioning the show the title of it said  simply said that science isn't replacing a God with a cosmic Bill Gates. Si fi fans got all pissy at me because I wouldn't give that show special treatment.

People can and do, with any thing they are into and scream like children if you blaspheme it. I am not talking about you, but humans in general. Saying science is science and fiction is fiction is not a crime.

And also got pissy at me for saying it should not shock us if in the future someone took something like Star Wars or Harry Potter and did turn it into a religion. People find it absurd because they don't understand the entire history of human gullibility. It is how L Ron Hubbard took words like "space time" mixed it with the word "incarnation" poof, took what should have not been taken seriously into a religion.

The entire point is that it is not a good idea to be so emotionally deep into something you cant handle any blasphemy or ridicule of it. It is the same idolizing that can get sports fans to get into fights. Nothing should be so worshiped it cannot handle ridicule. People pick on ABBA but I don't flip out someone picking on them.

I don't think you understand people do get upset even if you pick on TV shows they love. You must not run into it that much. But I've been at this for 14 years and a few times you do get si fi fans outraged that you tell them it is just a show.

I cant even get credit to say I used to worship the Redskins and Pat Benatar and back then it would have deeply offended me if someone picked on either. Now I realize those are my personal tastes and no one is bound by law to never speak ill of them. But people really do get upset even over a TV show.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

I like ABBA! Of course I'm a little biased, I like music with a melody and good singing and real musicians that can play instruments.   :shifty: :kidra:  :biggrin2: The universe is the music of the spheres, where angels sing.  :biggrin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Brian37

Quote from: Solitary on March 22, 2015, 09:23:31 PM
I like ABBA! Of course I'm a little biased, I like music with a melody and good singing and real musicians that can play instruments.   :shifty: :kidra:  :biggrin2: The universe is the music of the spheres, where angels sing.  :biggrin:  Solitary

I am not kidding though, people do take the most unimportant things too seriously. Even in music. I don't think the youngens her would remember the "Disco revolt" of the late 70s. You had hard rock fans burning disco records on sports stadium fields. I am serious there really are si fi fans who act like you murdered their family if you pick on a comic book or TV show.

I love ABBA too, and I do get into it about how they are talented, but I am not going to get so bent out of shape if someone says they suck or "Fuck ABBA". Having a friendly trash talk debate about why they are good or suck I am fine with, everyone gets to go to bed at night and no one is bound by law to never speak ill of ABBA.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

GSOgymrat

:sad: The video has been blocked.

Solitary

Bastards!  :wtff: It seems like anymore when something stupid happens it is either about religion, money, lawyers, or all three.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PopeyesPappy

:surprised: Brian doesn't flip out when someone knocks ABBA?
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 22, 2015, 09:59:44 PM
:sad: The video has been blocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIZnFOtxJMU

I'm not 100% certain it's the same one, but it's roughly the same length and seems like the same lecture hall.