News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Universe

Started by Solitary, March 22, 2015, 10:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Absolutely wonderful video.  Utube is so much more than cute cats doing cute cat things.

I have never heard of Brian Cox, but I'd keep my eye on this guy.  He's brilliant, perhaps no more brilliant than other Einstein level scientists, but he has an extraordinary gift to explain things to us simple types, even better than the well knowns at explaining stuff.  Oddly, this video overlaps with some of Lawrence Krauss' book, Something from Nothing, which I'm currently reading.  Krauss talks about a couple of things that I couldn't quite grasp, but Cox, just in passing, was able to shed more light on some of those specific things, making them a bit more understandable.  He's a brilliant teacher.

I'm guessing both he and Krauss have worked together at the Large Hadron Collider.  There is a lot of overlap in their expertise.  This cosmology area of science is big.  We are talking about getting closer to understanding the beginning of things, which is one of the big questions mankind has been wondering about for the last 200,000 years, but until now, getting absolutely nowhere.

It's stuff like this that makes me love science.  I'm talking about actual warm fuzzies type love that sweeps me into a euphoric bliss.  This stage of cosmology is so exciting because we are at a point where we are moving from not knowing to knowing.  There are lots of unknowns to explore, things we don't know but have wondered about for so long, but the knowledge is starting to seem within our reach.  I suppose the cutting edge always seems that breathtaking.

OK, I'm done.

Brian37

He started a shitstorm between lapersons and even physicists. The following video has physicists agreeing with him but wish his wording would not have allowed laypersons to jump to altruistic woo. This was not suggesting a cosmic consciousness. Right at the 3 min mark this physicist says people were gap filling to what Cox was actually saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZWediSfTU

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

Just think how crazy they got when they did find the God particle with the Large Hadron Collider.  :wall: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Brian37

I am getting a bit pissed at some people thinking you can take what is a mere metaphor to give you a mental image of what is going on, and simply try to replace a standard god with a cosmic Bill Gates or justify some si fi version of reincarnation. Cox was simply describing "connected" in the unthinking uncaring weather pattern all this is.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Quote from: Solitary on March 22, 2015, 12:17:04 PM
Just think how crazy they got when they did find the God particle with the Large Hadron Collider.  :wall: Solitary

Even si fi nuts masturbated over the word "illusion". QM is saying it is, but not the way they want it to be. The illusion isn't that we are not real, the "illusion" is that we are limited to our own perspective because our macro existence wont let us see out of our seemingly forward space/time arrow. QM isn't saying we don't exist.

Brian37

I just watched a video of Neil hosting a panel, and there is disagreement at the top as to how to solve QM problems. One lady on that panel is fond of string theory, Kraus while he finds it useful to some degree, both agree that humans are not important to all this and both try to account for what "0" means and none of this study of the nature of reality requires a cognition of any kind.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on March 22, 2015, 12:17:04 PM
That seems like it would be more like a new ager thingy.  I kind of doubt that the old time fundamentalists were quite so enthralled.  I imagine them sitting there just feeling mildly grumpy about a god particle discovered, so less, by some secular Satanist who would eat your baby.

Brian37

Don't argue QM with Star Trek fans, they treat that show like a religion.

Brian37

The beauty of the universe, with all its constructive and destructive forces is that we are even here, one twitch here or there and no one would be reading this. I am not that arrogant to think I am special to all this. The fact I am here with all those odds of science and a mostly hostile universe can only humble you.

aitm

Quote from: Brian37 on March 22, 2015, 12:39:11 PM
Don't fuck with us, mother fucker, we'll cut your head off! Damn straight jack!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Brian37 on March 22, 2015, 12:39:11 PM
:eh:

Did I miss something?

Brian37

Quote from: aitm on March 22, 2015, 01:04:16 PM
Don't fuck with us, mother fucker, we'll cut your head off! Damn straight jack!

I don't care if you love that show or find inspiration in it, but it is still fiction. Humans get their jollies off of other fiction too. But none of the actors or Gene are/were lab scientists nor did that show have any predictive powers that real science has.

Keep in mind that L Ron Hubbard incorporated space/time as buzz words to start his religion. I would hate to see a future where Star Trek has a deluded fan who ends up starting religions with churches where people get political and murder over their prophet Gene.

You get something out of it fine, but it is still entertainment.

Brian37

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 22, 2015, 01:07:49 PM
:eh:

Did I miss something?

Yes, human behavior in general. Even atheists can be so focused  on the bad logic of others when you get to their ideas the shit bricks as if you murdered their family. Some Star Trek fans, even if not all worship that show on a religious level trying to pretend it isn't a form of worship. You try to tell them it is still just a show some act like you blasphemed them like a Muslim.

Hydra009

Quote from: Brian37 on March 22, 2015, 01:15:51 PMI don't care if you love that show or find inspiration in it, but it is still fiction.
And who says otherwise?  I'm at a loss as to who exactly you're arguing against and whether or not they actually exist.

QuoteYes, human behavior in general.
Admittedly, it does throw me for a loop.  Case in point, a science lecture spawning an increasingly bizarre rant against trekkies seemingly out of the blue.

QuoteEven atheists can be so focused  on the bad logic of others when you get to their ideas the shit bricks as if you murdered their family. Some Star Trek fans, even if not all worship that show on a religious level trying to pretend it isn't a form of worship. You try to tell them it is still just a show some act like you blasphemed them like a Muslim.
:eh: :confused: