News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Before There Was Everything

Started by undercoverbrother, March 04, 2015, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

I have not looked into this idea in awhile.  But whatever happened to the idea that black holes spawn universes?  If that is so, then we are simply part of a never ending chain--our universe gives birth to millions of other universes--and so on.  And then, the big bang would be when the energy ball (or whatever you want to call it) broke away from a black hole in another universe.  Of course that does not answer the question of what started it all--and what existed before that.  Maybe there wasn't ever a beginning and this system always was. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 23, 2015, 12:58:08 AM
I have not looked into this idea in awhile.  But whatever happened to the idea that black holes spawn universes?  If that is so, then we are simply part of a never ending chain--our universe gives birth to millions of other universes--and so on.  And then, the big bang would be when the energy ball (or whatever you want to call it) broke away from a black hole in another universe.  Of course that does not answer the question of what started it all--and what existed before that.  Maybe there wasn't ever a beginning and this system always was. 

I remember reading that a while back, but I remember it being offered as a suggestion in the vein of "It might be that...", not as a theory.  And the mysterious nature of black holes makes them something the media is going write about in a way that enhances the drama.  But we have a lot to discover, and surprises will no doubt be a part of that.

Brian37

Oh goody, a fraidy cat who doesn't like being told their invisible friend isn't required. They are in good company, Allah and Yahweh and Thor are fictional too.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

trdsf

I'm partial to the theory that the universe is zero-sum: that the positive energy represented by matter is balanced by the negative energy represented by gravity -- although I'm not sure that's still a viable theory in light of the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe.  I don't think the zero-sum universe has been ruled out yet, anyway.  But under those circumstances, there is no question of where everything in the universe came from -- it 'pays for' itself, as it were.

There is also a theory that what looks like a Big Bang in our 3+1 large-dimensional space is the result of the collision of two other spaces in a higher dimensional space in which our universe is embedded.

Me, I'm perfectly happy to follow the research and wait for the answer to develop.  This is an open question to which there is no consensus answer, so the currently most-correct answer is "We don't know yet".
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: Brian37 on March 23, 2015, 06:56:52 AM
Oh goody, a fraidy cat who doesn't like being told their invisible friend isn't required. They are in good company, Allah and Yahweh and Thor are fictional too.
To be fair, Thors hot, and a pretty cool marvel hero, and doesn't have mass murder of innocent people on his record.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin