News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Powdered Alcohol: Really?

Started by SGOS, March 14, 2015, 07:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Can I have a loaf of bread with my Gilly?  :biggrin2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: missingnocchi on March 14, 2015, 08:47:36 AM
I think the existence of beer proves that people don't really care how efficiently they're drinking alcohol (or even how it tastes).

You, good sir or madam, Should come to belgium. It is indeed not About drinking 'efficiently'. But do not judge or call out the taste of beer as bad before i'vetaken you on a trip around a few belgian pubs.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Never was a beer drinker before I was introduced the the form of hedonism known variously as "beer football" or "beer softball." Got all hot and sweaty and that was the only available thirst quencher. Later I discovered malt liquor, the good kind; not the Utah version.

Don't drink much now, but on a hot, sweaty day- hard to beat.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 14, 2015, 01:07:58 PM
You, good sir or madam, Should come to belgium. It is indeed not About drinking 'efficiently'. But do not judge or call out the taste of beer as bad before i'vetaken you on a trip around a few belgian pubs.
I haven't had a beer in close to 20 years.  I understand that a recent onslaught of microbreweries has created some highly drinkable stuff, but the US has never been known as a land of premium beers, so "drinkable" is pretty relative.  Many of us Americans laugh at our own beer, and I came of age cutting my teeth on some real rotten tasting crap, although it was cheap.  You think our good beers are bad?  You should try our bad beers.  You should visit the US.  We could take you on a tour of our worst beers.  I'm not sure what the point would be, though.  It might still be fun:  "Here; Drink this.  Now drink this one.  Which is the worst?  You think that was bad?  Try this one."

I turned old enough to drink in Montana.  I knew the son of the local beer distributer, who handled mostly Montana Beers, such as Great Falls Select and something called Lucky Lager, and the stuff made over in Olympia Washington was even worse.  I think he handled that too.  You could buy better beers at the store, but if you wanted a keg, it was Great Falls Select or Lucky Lager.  But even worse than those beers was Montana's own distillery that made various hard liquors under the brand name of Lewis and Clark.  I could drink their vodka, which wasn't all that good, but Lewis and Clark Whiskey was the worst I've ever tasted.  It also gave me nightmares.  Fortunately, the state run liquor stores carried a lot imported hard liquors.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on March 14, 2015, 02:21:23 PM
I haven't had a beer in close to 20 years.  I understand that a recent onslaught of microbreweries has created some highly drinkable stuff, but the US has never been known as a land of premium beers, so "drinkable" is pretty relative.  Many of us Americans laugh at our own beer, and I came of age cutting my teeth on some real rotten tasting crap, although it was cheap.  You think our good beers are bad?  You should try our bad beers.  You should visit the US.  We could take you on a tour of our worst beers.  I'm not sure what the point would be, though.  It might still be fun:  "Here; Drink this.  Now drink this one.  Which is the worst?  You think that was bad?  Try this one."

I turned old enough to drink in Montana.  I knew the son of the local beer distributer, who handled mostly Montana Beers, such as Great Falls Select and something called Lucky Lager, and the stuff made over in Olympia Washington was even worse.  I think he handled that too.  You could buy better beers at the store, but if you wanted a keg, it was Great Falls Select or Lucky Lager.  But even worse than those beers was Montana's own distillery that made various hard liquors under the brand name of Lewis and Clark.  I could drink their vodka, which wasn't all that good, but Lewis and Clark Whiskey was the worst I've ever tasted.  It also gave me nightmares.  Fortunately, the state run liquor stores carried a lot imported hard liquors.

Maybe we can try a deal. I sent you a bottle or two of the best beer I can think of, within a price range/category, and you sent me a bottle of the worst in return. Though shipping may be a bit pricy :p.
I'm not gonna send you a bottle of 'westvleteren' though. You have to drive all the way to the monastary, wait in line for half a day and you get one crate (24 bottles) of pricy trappist per car.

stromboli

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 14, 2015, 02:33:17 PM
Maybe we can try a deal. I sent you a bottle or two of the best beer I can think of, within a price range/category, and you sent me a bottle of the worst in return. Though shipping may be a bit pricy :p.
I'm not gonna send you a bottle of 'westvleteren' though. You have to drive all the way to the monastary, wait in line for half a day and you get one crate (24 bottles) of pricy trappist per car.

I am definitely not obsessive enough about anything, much less beer, to go through that just for 24 bottles. Might be "that good" but I am not that interested.

missingnocchi

I've always suspected that the difference between countries in beer quality is, much like wine quality, absolute, unsubstantiated, verifiably false bullshit.
What's a "Leppo?"

Mr.Obvious

Well, come on over, let's test your hypothesis.

AllPurposeAtheist

Problem I had with Belgian beer was the 4 day long hangover.. It tasted great, but that first morning after made me wish I'd had an 8ball of pure heroin to OD with..  I have to slightly qualify this by saying I hadn't been drunk in about 10 years. Come to think about it Great Falls beer probably would have had the same effect on me at the time. I also cut my teeth on Montana beer back around 1977. Remember Rainier Beer? :toilet:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mr.Obvious

I may have said it before, but I'll say it again; I've never had a hangover due to beer. Hard liquor is what gets me, but never beer.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 14, 2015, 03:59:49 PM
I may have said it before, but I'll say it again; I've never had a hangover due to beer. Hard liquor is what gets me, but never beer.
You're the Antichrist.. OR...haven't been drunk with the right kind of woman..

Mr.Obvious

Or I've built up an immunity part due to our low starting age for drinking, the frequency of our nation's beer consumption and for the heck of it let's say genetics; those organisms who thrive well in a beer-culture and beer-rich environment survive to produce.
Whichever old way; I'm happy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 14, 2015, 04:07:14 PM
Or I've built up an immunity part due to our low starting age for drinking, the frequency of our nation's beer consumption and for the heck of it let's say genetics; those organisms who thrive well in a beer-culture and beer-rich environment survive to produce.
Whichever old way; I'm happy.
I think it's genetics. I've known plenty of people who never get hangovers.. They should all be shot. :biggrin:

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 14, 2015, 03:53:55 PM
Remember Rainier Beer? :toilet:
Yep, that was a popular one in Montana.  There was another around that time called Schmits, I think.  It came in pretty lithographed cans sporting woodland animals.  It was available in a 12 pack called the dandy dozen.  There were actually worse beers, but Schmits was notoriously cheap.  It was worth the price, I thought, but some guys complained that it gave them rotten farts.

AllPurposeAtheist

There's always Schlitz.. When you're out of Schlitz you're out of money..