Forced budget cuts, $250 million in aid to Egypt.

Started by Alaric I, March 04, 2013, 05:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Beats the fuck out of me.

Jutter

Fucking politics man.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

dawiw

I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

pr126

U.S. gift of F-16 fighters headed to Egypt, despite Morsi's harsh rhetoric
QuoteA source who works on the naval air base in Fort Worth, Texas, confirmed the departure of the state-of-the-art fighter planes to FoxNews.com. Sixteen F-16s and 200 Abrams tanks are to be given to the Egyptian government before the end of the year under a foreign aid deal signed in 2010 with then-Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, a longtime U.S. ally.
Birthday present?

Shiranu

If we care so much about Israel, why exactly give their potential enemies state of the art weapons?

Oh U.S.A., so logical...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Zatoichi

Quote from: "Shiranu"If we care so much about Israel, why exactly give their potential enemies state of the art weapons?

Oh U.S.A., so logical...

Same reason Prescott Bush financed Hitler... you finance both sides of the conflict and make shitloads of $$$.

Hegelian Dialectic: Problem-Reaction-Solution.

Create or exacerbate the problem, wait for the reaction, then offer your preferred "solution" that benefits you and your cronies.

War is a racket.
"If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it." ~Skippy's List

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Shiranu"If we care so much about Israel, why exactly give their potential enemies state of the art weapons?

Oh U.S.A., so logical...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Air_Force#Current

That's why. Those aren't exactly state of the art anymore either.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

stromboli

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"

Oh U.S.A., so logical...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Air_Force#Current

That's why. Those aren't exactly state of the art anymore either.

I worked as an Aircraft Welder for a few years at Hill AFB in Utah. The F-16 dates back to 1979, it is not a new bird. Additionally, all depot and major tear down maintenance is basically done in this country- you give or sell old fighters to other countries. They then have to pay us to maintain them. Same with the tanks. This is a "gift horse" in a sense, because for them to operate, they have to depend on us for support. The F-16 has a non-weldable airframe, and most maintenance involves high tech shit. The engines are wrapped in a Titanium shell and are also mostly non weldable. I worked on the F-4 Phantom, its predecessor. By contrast, it is made almost entirely of weldable metals and can be maintained more easily in the field for that reason.

Trust me, anything we give them has major strings attached.