What gives your life meaning?

Started by dtq123, March 11, 2015, 09:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

My parents had 6 kids when they could barely afford 2. We ate bologna for breakfast lunch and very cheap roast beef and potatoes for dinner practically 5 days a weeks. I was raised to work hard in order to enjoy bologna. My father was not a stupid man, but not an educated man, he often told me, "you climb the ladder simply by outworking the guy next to you." No one has ever outworked me. Add to that that no one has ever been more determined to be at work on time and always there, wherever and whenever i said I would be. If I said I will be there, I will be there, like the fucking sun.

Today, I make pretty damn good bucks, I haven't seen bologna in 30 years and have no desire to, but rest assured if I had too, I would have no qualms about having to do it all again and I would still out work the lazy shits today.

What gives my life meaning? Enjoying every second I can, understanding that hundreds, thousands, even millions of poor bastards will never ever ever have half of what I have fought for, and realizing that every one of them could if they had the chance, yet they never will and nothing I can do will change that. Realizing that billions have died in vain, billions have simply died and billions more along with I will die as well and fade into the past, evaporating into the vastness of history as unknown as a single leaf in a forest in Idaho somewhere.

I give my life meaning. If you allow someone else to give your life meaning, they become the master. I am fortunate that I am able to even say that. Millions, billions can only get their freedom by dying. Fuck the gods man. To live fully you have to work fully, I like filet, lobster and king crab. I like a pool in the back yard, my Jag, my truck, even my robot vacuum.

Death is what drives my life. Death is what gives life meaning. Live hard, work hard, love hard, its over quicker than you will ever know.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: aitm on March 14, 2015, 10:15:32 PM

I give my life meaning. If you allow someone else to give your life meaning, they become the master. I am fortunate that I am able to even say that. Millions, billions can only get their freedom by dying. Fuck the gods man. To live fully you have to work fully, I like filet, lobster and king crab. I like a pool in the back yard, my Jag, my truck, even my robot vacuum.

Death is what drives my life. Death is what gives life meaning. Live hard, work hard, love hard, its over quicker than you will ever know.

Pretty similar feelings. Grew up poor with a single mother. Everything I owned from the time I was old enough to work I paid for. All my clothes, every car, everything. I raised 3 kids and support a chronically ill wife and have done so for 38 years. I have a walk in crib I built full of tools because I know how to use all of them and do. I've worked for everything I have my entire life. I am proud of my skills and what I accomplish, and I always have a project ongoing and another waiting after that. Life has exactly as much purpose as you give it. And yeah, its over way too soon.

Solitary

Ditto! Solitary   Experience gives me meaning in life, whether good or bad, unless the bad is too unbearable and I loose the will to live. Been there, done that. So like I said, trying stay alive gives me purpose now, and great memories I've had. I almost said mammeries.  :lol: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Quote from: Solitary on March 15, 2015, 03:28:05 PM
I almost said mammeries. 

ahhh,,mammeries,,had some very nice ones of those as well, and while getting older usually means less chance of see more up close and personal, I am always optimistic that i hit some lotto and hell, I can buy tithes by the dozens then….er….not because I am a male pig but because women are….er….okay, I am a male pig, so sue me.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Getting the shower stall nice and sparkling clean with 1 part blue Dawn® dishwashing liquid and 1 part plain white vinegar.. Works better than any of the crap they sell in the stores for such tasks..
Now my life has meaning...having a clean shower stall! :biggrin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Who defines 'meaning' anyway, and why is there an assumption that life has to have one?  It's kind of a value-added thing; life doesn't require a meaning, although we may choose to give it some, for our own purposes.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solitary

Life as I see it in the raw, is perpetuating species and life until death. Hardly any purpose in that, and why would there have to be? It's like asking what is the purpose of 1+1=2?   :eek: :biggrin2: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

leo

The only meaning of life is winning the last person to posts wins thread.  :grin: :grin: :grin:
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

leo

Seriously I can't think of anything that give meaning to my life. I eat , work and try to stay alive. I value my life very much but ultimately it doesn't matter , we all are going to end 6 foot below the ground.  I live my life day by day.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Draconic Aiur

I'm like a bear. purpose? Souds like ego worship to me.

AllPurposeAtheist

Go scrub your shower with Dawn® and white vinegar.. That'll give you meaning!

Qchan

What is the purpose of finding the meaning of life if you, your entire species and the entire universe will eventually be reduced to nothing?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Qchan on March 16, 2015, 05:19:04 PM
What is the purpose of finding the meaning of life if you, your entire species and the entire universe will eventually be reduced to nothing?
I'm kind of hopeful that my species and universe outlast me.. :think:

I could be wrong though in which case I'll go scrub the shower again before it's too late! :shifty:

Qchan

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on March 16, 2015, 05:38:47 PM
I'm kind of hopeful that my species and universe outlast me.. :think:

I could be wrong though in which case I'll go scrub the shower again before it's too late! :shifty:

What I mean is, what's the meaning of life if life will be destroyed anyway? You're saying your life has purpose. I'm just curious as to what purpose that is.

stromboli

The question is what gives your life meaning.

If your life has no meaning, go ahead and die.

My life has meaning because i am working on something no one else has done, a hard skinned 7 foot boat that can be backpacked.
helping my terminally ill wife enjoy what is left of her life.
Enjoying the lives of my children and grandchildren as they grow and change.
Enjoying the outdoors and nature when I go camping.
Riding my mountain bike when camping, and on the nature trails not far from where I live.

This provides meaning and purpose to my life.
Writing, photography, writing a journal for my grandkids, all these thing can serve as a legacy to them.
Writing and producing a journal of my father's experience in WW1 from his diary, and my mother's life growing up on the first farms in Idaho, telling the stories to pass on to other generations.

As I said, it has exactly as much meaning as you give it.

The question was what gives your life meaning, not the meaning of life; a semantic difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk