What gives your life meaning?

Started by dtq123, March 11, 2015, 09:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtq123

I've always been the kind of person who admires and strives to work.

I am a person who is hard working and wants the best for the future. Since there is only uncertainty now, and hedonists seldom care for the environment they leave behind; I feel the moral need to continue to work.

I don't know much, maybe I'm just pushing myself too hard? What do you think? And do answer the question above.

PickledEggs, no Satire please?
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

stromboli

I am similar to you in the need to drive myself to do and create. I build boats as a hobby, and am currently working on a folding boat that will weigh less than a dozen pounds and collapse down small enough to carry on a back pack. Meaning is derived from doing. Creating, building and making your world better is what separates us from mere animals. I have known too many people who have simply decided to exist, with no goals or real meaning to their lives. That attitude might offend some people on the forum, but I decided a long time ago that being proactive and working towards goals just makes more sense and is more meaningful than the reverse.

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

trdsf

Getting down a turn of phrase that conveys exactly what I had in mind, in the ongoing hope of getting myself published some day.  Or getting a photo that captures what I was trying to capture -- more than just the image, but the feelings that inspired me to try to capture it.

Showing up to work, not so much -- but bringing a sense of safety (or at least a bit of relaxation) to the family we're trying to help, yeah, lots.  I don't do social work myself, I'm administration... but since I'm the weekend receptionist, I'm also the first face they see (other than the deputy assigned to our building), so that's something I can at least do for them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Atheon

The real me: Learning, experiencing, contributing.

My raging fundy alter ego: Bowing teh KNEE and wershiping JEBUS and hatin on them there HOMMASEXUALS and MOOSLIMS!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Adventures.  My job was just kind of a matrix where I passed my time between adventures.

stromboli

Enjoying the world as best I can. Even a desert is more beautiful than any city.

Sal1981

10% to GWWC, that goes to fund long-lasting mosquito nets.

Solitary

I used to follow the cosmic imperative to further support my species, but then it was to find a lover, now it is to just survive.  :kidra: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Just the mere fact I'm alive with the knowledge that I'll someday die gives life meaning, but short of that there really is no meaning. When I die it won't make a hill of beans to the rest of the world that I ever existed in the first place and further, I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

You are inflicted with the JJ complex!  :biggrin2: Solitary

Solomon Zorn

I guess a lot of things in synergy. A balance of family, friends and solitude. Classic rock music. Creative pursuits like model-building, drawing, and writing poetry. An occasional good meal. This forum sometimes.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on March 14, 2015, 04:10:19 PM
You are inflicted with the JJ complex!  :biggrin2: Solitary
It's a satanic thing. I'm possessed by the devil undoubtedly.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

JJ was a wiccan and put a spell on me, the bitch! Just kidding, I think?  :shifty: :shifty: :liar: Solitary

Munch

Trying new things. theres always something new and interesting around each corner, be in new foods I've not tried before, new recipes, new places to see, new ideas to explore, to stuff to acquire.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin