News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Skynet Anyone?

Started by stromboli, March 06, 2015, 09:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Is it really all that bad if we create past-human level intelligence? I mean, all this doom and gloom look at all the proportionally negative impact it might have, but what if this intelligence, with its vastly superior capacity pities humanity with all its faults in its culture and DNA and lifts us up, both culturally and genetically and whatever, and grants us unforeseen prosperity. Hell, why should we stay on Earth when we ourselves transcend our very limited shells? Let's go exploring.

I mean, atomic power doesn't have to be all bombs and shit, neither does a strong AI.

stromboli

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 10, 2015, 01:17:31 PM
Is it really all that bad if we create past-human level intelligence? I mean, all this doom and gloom look at all the proportionally negative impact it might have, but what if this intelligence, with its vastly superior capacity pities humanity with all its faults in its culture and DNA and lifts us up, both culturally and genetically and whatever, and grants us unforeseen prosperity. Hell, why should we stay on Earth when we ourselves transcend our very limited shells? Let's go exploring.

I mean, atomic power doesn't have to be all bombs and shit, neither does a strong AI.

The problem with opinionating about this topic is there is so much "it all depends" attached to it. In a world of benevolent intentions, a developed AI could be a major boon. The idea of a system that could work to control pollution, minimize loss of life due to catastrophe, maintain infrastructures and balance economies is a heady thought. Unfortunately if an AI is developed for military, economic or political advantage, any benevolence ensuing would be at risk.

You mentioned atomic power. Thorium as a fuel has been known about as long as Uranium. The reason Uranium was developed initially was for weapons potential. Thorium doesn't have weapons potential, is exponentially safer, many times more abundant and overall a much better choice as a fuel. But all the current reactors are run on Uranium and Thorium is only now being developed. I think the comparison is very apt to AI for the same reason. The how/why of its development is the difference.