News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Aridhale, March 05, 2015, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aridhale

Hi there everyone! I've been an atheist (and I am starting to become somewhat of an anti-theist) for a few years now and I love watching religious debates. I love to learn about many different religions and really try to understand how people can believe it. No luck so far but maybe there are some people on here that can give some insight :)

For the most part I am unable to speak with most people about it as my family are all Catholic and don't really want to hear anything I say against it. Plus telling some of them I'm an atheist would probably get me disowned immediately :P I want to discuss things with people. I keep wanting a Jehovah's witness to walk up to my door and say "Let's talk about Jesus" and I'll be like "Please come in!!" *smiles evilly

Anyway I hope to have some fun and interesting conversations!

stromboli

Welcome. Let me introduce you to our current douche/punching bag, Winterland 78. He has been here just long enough to prove how stupid he is and that he is either retarded or a troll or both. Take some practice shots. Use the "F" word liberally. Demean his family. Belittle him in every sense of the word. Think of it as training for future episodes. Enjoy.  :axe:

GrinningYMIR

Welcome to the forum!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

dtq123

Welcome to da club mate.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

PickelledEggs

Welcome, buddy! Glad to have you aboard!

Sal1981

Hi & welcome to AF.

Munch

hey Aridhale, welcome.

Sorry to hear you have a family like that dude, don't worry though your not alone in what you've discovered for yourself.

Does piss me off when reading that parents want to stranglehold on their children to the point of what they believe or not believe in. Every person has the right to figure things out for themselves.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

hrdlr110

Quote from: Aridhale on March 05, 2015, 10:34:48 PM
Hi there everyone! I've been an atheist (and I am starting to become somewhat of an anti-theist) for a few years now and I love watching religious debates. I love to learn about many different religions and really try to understand how people can believe it. No luck so far but maybe there are some people on here that can give some insight :)

For the most part I am unable to speak with most people about it as my family are all Catholic and don't really want to hear anything I say against it. Plus telling some of them I'm an atheist would probably get me disowned immediately :P I want to discuss things with people. I keep wanting a Jehovah's witness to walk up to my door and say "Let's talk about Jesus" and I'll be like "Please come in!!" *smiles evilly

Anyway I hope to have some fun and interesting conversations!

Yeah, the religious are like a freak show or train wreck to me - it's hard to look away. I watch in total disbelief at the things they think and do. You're not alone! And I don't mean that in a jesus is always in your heart kind of way either! Welcome!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Solomon Zorn

Welcome to the forum, Aridhale.

I too am an anti-theist, and love to discuss religion with intelligent Christians. They are few and far-between though. I usually have to settle for the delusionally superstitious right-wing brainwashing victims. They are not so much fun to argue with, but I always welcome a discussion if they are willing. My hope is that I can say something that will stick with them.

I just received a hand written invitation in the mail, to respond to a Jehovah Witness tract about suffering, which she included with the letter. I'm going to write back and send her a poem. Maybe this one:

“Fingers”
http://www.solomonzorn.com/fingers.html
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Brian37

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Green Bottle

Welcome Aridhale to the Madhouse...
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

d4w6zBak

Welcome!!! As for me I'm very objective with my conversations with theists. First I always lay down the foundation of Objective Reality,  I wanna make sure that I'm at least speaking with a rational individual.. I ask "If evidence or absence of evidence go against your beliefs would you at least entertain the idea that your belief might be wrong?' If the answer is no, we can talk about sports instead. If yes then I'd like for them to define their god for me..and I'd ask them to read their "holy book to its entirety" I've only met 2 people who've read the bible from cover to cover..they always define their god as perfect. .i always point out the imperfect book and advice them that 'using the bible to prove that god exists is like using the X-men Comics to claim that Wolverine is real. Because I screen who I converse with. I avoid a lot of unnecessary arguments..I hope it helps.

renasimplified

Mr.Obvious

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.