What the fuck is it with modern music when rap crap is considered the best

Started by Solitary, March 04, 2015, 03:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deidre32

The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Shiranu

I guess the jazz and church-choir style singers in this song are crap since it's in a rap song... and the lyrics are just ho's, drugs, guns and bitches because that's all rap is about...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

trdsf

I can sum up my objections to rap pretty simply.

First, I fail to see the artistic merit in having every other word be an obscenity, or a racial or sexual epithet.

Second, it is so agonizingly non-melodic.

Third, I don't need to hear it at 90 decibels or more at 3.30 in the morning while someone's idling at the stop sign on the corner --  or from an apartment across the courtyard.  Don't crank it until you're on the highway, or wear headphones, as appropriate.

(If/when I ever get another car, I swear I'm gonna drive through the campus district with Bach going at max volume at 4am...)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Solitary

:super: Yes, nothing better than music that hurts your ears, including some Rock songs. To me most rap, unless done with an orchestra and by a professional composer that knows what makes good music, Rap all sounds exactly the same, with the same monotonous beat, and no melody. I like Reggae and when I went to Nevis I was so disappointed that it had evolved into Rap. Boring! Yes, there are bad Rock songs, but overall rap is all basically the same beat with no melody, like Natives dancing around a campfire chanting with a constant drum beat that all sound alike.

It has been said that most people don't like Classical music because they can't enjoy the changes in tempo, chord changes, loudness and softness, melodies, and scale progressions, higher and refined emotional feelings, which is what is missing in Rap, and not just one strong primitive emotion to move them, etc.  So they need the music loud and pounded into their heads like Rap and heavy metal does for them to enjoy. But at least heavy metal has the elements of good music. When I say Rap is Crap I'm talking about it musically, not the message, or whether people like it or not.  I love the sound of boxer 12 cylinder Ferrari floored that is just noise, but I wouldn't say it is good music, even if it is to my ears.   Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Savior2006

As far as I'm concerned Tupac is the only rapper that matters. There's Dear Mama and Brenda has a baby.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Aletheia

Aside from a few truly exceptional songs, rap tends to be repetitious for entirely too long, is usually superficial, and doesn't merge with your emotions. The rap songs which are good do not linger too long in a particular beat, they talk about something significant, and do call to your emotions.

The main difference between rock and rap is that rock produces good music more often than rap. You can lose yourself to a rock song, whereas the average chart topping rap song keeps the mind in a very shallow range and offers nothing meaningful or even aesthetically pleasing. It's made all the more atrocious when many rap songs take excerpts from other songs and systematically butchers these songs with subpar style and technique.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

aitm

I am a fan of classical, baroque, jazz, blues, big band, polka, rock, folk, practically everything but gospel and harpsichord (which gives me the willies), and though I cannot tolerate rap I know better than to say so. Yeah, 99% of it does not even reach the realm of "music" much less classify as melodic, but I try to stay out of these arguments because it is simply a shit fest of opinion….and I know I am right and you are wrong…so bleah!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

I can't help but feel that with Paul McCartney working with him several times... it's odd to say Kanye isn't much of a musician.

Also; check out "808's and Heartbreaks" or his Dark Fantasy album and tell me he isn't artist and that rap is easy...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

missingnocchi

ITT: The sounds I aim into my earholes are OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR to the sounds you aim into your earholes.
What's a "Leppo?"

the_antithesis

It's all a matter of personal taste and I've long since realized that I was the only one with any, so I leave people to their poor listening choices in peace.

But what bothers me about rap is how fucking samey it is. When a rapper comes on the Tonight Show or whatever and their performance starts, it begins with some sort of drum beat or bass riff and then I turn to my roommate and say "I'll bet he says 'yea yea yeah.'" And shit if that doesn't happen seconds later.

Some artists I can recognize as having something, but others are totally phoning it in and making millions off of that.

I have no faith in this coming generation or the one before it.

I am glad I never had children. My genes will not live on to see what shit will be coming next.