News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Before There Was Everything

Started by undercoverbrother, March 04, 2015, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercoverbrother

Just to stimulate more conversation:

If nothing existed before everything existed, then everything has always existed.

Sal1981

SGOS

I had to ponder this for a while.  And I can almost make logical sense out of it, but something doesn't come together.  If I understand what you're getting at, before everything existed, there was nothing.  This would include the very condition of existence itself.  Or in another way of looking at, the very condition of nothingness itself could not exist in nothing.

I'm not sure that leads to everything always existing.  I think there's a meaningless loop in your reasoning, or perhaps some semantic confusion.  I dunno.

Solitary

It's a fallacy of Argumentative leap, or Non Sequitur. It jumps to a conclusion with no immediate bases for drawing the proposed conclusion provided internally within the argument. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EilZ4VY5Vs

An hour and four minutes, or you can buy the book of the same name. Krauss does about as good a job as anyone of putting the "nothing" concept in perspective.

SGOS

Sometimes a claim or argument is so complicated it's hard to grasp.  Sometimes it's nebulous, and I mistake nebulous for complicated.  But I try fairly hard to grasp the issue.  Sometimes this leads to arguments and explanations that are too complicated to follow.  It's like I take a nonsense claim, and work so hard to understand it that I am tempted by nonsense explanations.  There's always that feeling, however, that something is just out of reach.  Maybe there's a name of a logical fallacy for this, or maybe not because it's not common enough to label.  Maybe you could just call it confusion, but it's something I can get trapped by.

Solitary

:eek: To think everything came out of nothing is as insane as thinking a God always existed in my opinion. If religion had said this there would be no religion. This is basically what Marilyn Voss Savant said who has the highest recorded IQ, and I agree with her on this. I don't care if all the mathematics and scientist agree on this, it is beyond ridiculous. Even space itself is not nothing. In fact, it's composed of particles like everything else, even if they are anti-particles, and particles that annihilate each other and form particles of energy. Solitary

Atheon

0 is nothing
-1 is something
1 is something
something + something = something
Then since 0 = -1 + 1, then nothing = something.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Solitary

0+something is something. I get it.  :biggrin2:

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on March 04, 2015, 02:34:42 PM
0 is nothing
-1 is something
1 is something
something + something = something
Then since 0 = -1 + 1, then nothing = something.

I think both sides of the last equation are nothing.  They are just different representations for nothing.

I've got a call in to Stephen Hawking.  He's kind of "iffy" about returning my calls, but we can always hope.  Sometimes I ask him a simple question, and I get the most complicated darned answer.

leo

Before there was everything . Was Chuck Norris . Duh
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

PickelledEggs

Quote from: leo on March 04, 2015, 04:03:45 PM
Before there was everything . Was Chuck Norris . Duh
LOL Nice avatar, leo

leo

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 04, 2015, 04:29:45 PM
LOL Nice avatar, leo
Thanks . I posted it  yesterday in the last person to post wins thread reply. I really like this pic.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

PickelledEggs

Quote from: leo on March 04, 2015, 04:44:01 PM
                                                                                                                                                   Thanks . I posted yesterday in the last person to post wins thread reply. I really like this pic.
Yeah. It's a great avatar. Too bad you won't be winning the thread

Sent from your mom.

Desdinova

Quote from: undercoverbrother on March 04, 2015, 08:28:33 AM
Just to stimulate more conversation:

If nothing existed before everything existed, then everything has always existed.

Thinking about shit like this makes my brain hurt.

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate