News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

if

Started by Contemporary Protestant, March 01, 2015, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

CP, you're an atheist wannabe.. You need a new name.. Atheabe..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Contemporary Protestant

how is that possible

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 01, 2015, 09:18:24 PM
how is that possible
it isn't.. God keeps you silly in a godly way.. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on March 01, 2015, 12:00:40 PM

if you assert that atheists are more intelligent

No one should be doing that.

Hydra009

I believe some of us (including me) did say that theists were more gullible than theists.  How that got garbled into more intelligent, I haven't the foggiest.  But it seems like a common argument among theists to claim that atheists claim to be smarter and thereby accuse them of arrogance.  I don't think that such people really grasp that even intelligent people can fall prey to superstitious thinking and scams.

Solitary

There's a big difference from believing there unknowns and attributing them to an invisible entity without any reliable evidence that gives an answer to them to make people feel good than being intelligence. To believe in real magic is stupid just because it makes one feel good, and because they have the answers with superstitious nonsense. So yes, atheist are more logical and don't think like neurotics, which makes them more intelligent, even if they lack any education or knowledge. Having ignorance thinking it is knowledge because authority says so is stupid also, atheist or believer.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 02, 2015, 03:15:49 PM
I believe some of us (including me) did say that theists were more gullible than theists.  How that got garbled into more intelligent, I haven't the foggiest.

Because people are stupid and things like that get garbled all the time. Like that "people only use 10% of their brains" bullshit. It was originally "people only use 10% of their intelligence" meaning people who should be smarter do not act so. Ironically, the misquoting of the original is a good example.

Mike Cl

This if from a very quick google check on this subject:
Education and religion
The Economist
Falling away
How education makes people less religiousâ€"and less superstitious, too
Oct 11th 2014 | From the print edition
ï,·
ï,·
ï,·
JUST one extra year of schooling makes someone 10% less likely to attend a church, mosque or temple, pray alone or describe himself as religious, concludes a paper* published on October 6th that looks at the relationship between religiosity and the length of time spent in school. It uses changes in the compulsory school-leaving age in 11 European countries between 1960 and 1985 to tease out the impact of time spent in school on belief and practice among respondents to the European Social Survey, a long-running research project.
By comparing people of similar backgrounds who were among the first to stay on longer, the authors could be reasonably certain that the extra schooling actually caused religiosity to fall, rather than merely being correlated with the decline. During those extra years mathematics and science classes typically become more rigorous, points out Naci Mocan, one of the authorsâ€"and increased exposure to analytical thinking may weaken the tendency to believe.

Wiki
Study examining theistic belief and cognitive style[edit]
The idea that analytical thinking makes one less likely to be religious is an idea supported by other early studies on this issue[19] including a report fromHarvard University.[15] First of all, the Harvard researchers found evidence suggesting that all religious beliefs become more confident when participants are thinking intuitively (atheist and theists each become more convinced). Thus reflective thinking generally tends to create more qualified, doubted belief.
Furthermore, the Harvard study found that participants who tended to think more reflectively were less likely to believe in God.[15] Reflective thinking was further correlated with greater changes in beliefs since childhood: these changes were towards atheism for the most reflective participants, and towards greater belief in God for the most intuitive thinkers. The study controlled for personality differences and cognitive ability, suggesting the differences were due to thinking styles - not simply IQ or raw cognitive ability.[15] An experiment in the study found that participants moved towards greater belief in God after writing essays about how intuition yielded a right answer or reflection yielded a wrong answer (and conversely, towards atheism if primed to think about either a failure of intuition or success of reflection). The authors say it is all evidence that a relevant factor in religious belief is thinking style.[15] The authors add that, even if intuitive thinking tends to increase belief in God, "it does not follow that reliance on intuition is always irrational or unjustified."[15]

Why Are Educated People More Likely to Be Atheists?
Religion works more through the emotions than through reason.
Post published by Nigel Barber Ph.D. on Feb 19, 2014 in The Human Beast
ï,·SHARE
ï,·TWEET
ï,·SHARE
ï,·EMAIL
The more education a person receives, the more likely they are to become atheists (1). Non belief also increases with intelligence and income. Residents of more educated countries see religion as less important(link is external) in their daily lives (2).
Why are highly educated people more likely to be atheists? There are two categories of explanation. Either religious people lack a capacity for skepticism, or they choose to make a blind leap of faith and subscribe to the belief system adopted by their religious community. 

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

The above wasn't very well done on my part.  Did not clean it up much.  Hit the wrong button.  But anyway, that seems to point to the idea that the more highly educated one is the less likely one is to believe in god.  If that really is the case, then yes, the atheist, as a group, would be more intelligent than the religious, as a group. 

That seems logical to me, since religion relies on faith and not reason.  And faith is blind.  Reason requires that one pay attention to the details and then make a decision.  So, yeah, atheists would be more intelligent.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

kilodelta

QuoteJUST one extra year of schooling makes someone 10% less likely to attend a church, mosque or temple, pray alone or describe himself as religious,

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know