Most Republicans support establishing Christianity as the national religion.

Started by Valigarmander, February 25, 2015, 01:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valigarmander

Not exactly surprise of the century, but according to a Pew poll released yesterday, 57% of Republicans would support making Christianity the national religion, with 30% against it and 13% unsure.

Other inexcusable ignorance revealed by the poll: 49% of Republicans do not believe in evolution (37% do and 13% unsure), and 66% do not believe in global warming (25% do and 10% unsure).

Atheon

50% of the population is of below-average intelligence. We call them Republicans.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Desdinova

They also believe in Noah's Ark, that Earth is 6,000 years old, and that Tinky Winky is gay.  The perfect group to run our government!

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

aitm

HEY, on the bright side 43% of the Pubs are not for it. Dats pretty dadgum good.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Shiranu

And yet it's Muslims (0.6% of the American population) who are the real threat of imposing religious law on us. :P.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

I expect biblical laws would be much worse than Sharia, given that I've read the Bible. Here's  a resource on that:
http://www.giveshare.org/BibleLaw/lawindex/
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Savior2006

Like I said, it's the difference between a mediocre party, and a bad party full of Jesusfreaks.

I know which side I'm on.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mermaid

Are people seriously that far removed from The very basic, fundamental principle that AMERICA WAS FOUNDED ON!?

That is terrifying. How is that any different than Sharia? Are people seriously that fucking stupid?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

And hopefully if they ever get their wish, they'll be sentenced to lethal injection for worshiping god in the wrong way.

SharrySteve1

People have gone astray. They have forgotten basic, fundamental principle that the United States was founded on.

Desdinova

Quote from: SharrySteve1 on April 14, 2015, 12:54:31 PM
People have gone astray. They have forgotten basic, fundamental principle that the United States was founded on.

What fundamental principal was that?
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SharrySteve1

For instance: "The only reliable basis for sound government and just human relations is Natural Law"