News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

LQ vs IQ?

Started by Xerographica, February 25, 2015, 01:50:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerographica

That's my LQ.  Not sure about my IQ... just like most people I'm guessing it's above average. 

So what's LQ?  It stands for linvoid quotient.  In math they use "x" as the go to variable.  For language I use "linvoid".  Not sure what the "quotient" is doing... maybe just hanging out for symmetry. 

In this situation I'm using "linvoid" to refer to epic mind changes.  I'm not sure if there's a word for an epic mind change so for now I'm just using "linvoid" as the placeholder. 

So far in my life I've had 2 linvoids.  The first occurred when I was around 11.   That's when I exchanged my belief in God for my belief in evolution.  The second occurred in my late 20s when I exchanged my belief in libertarianism for my belief in pragmatarianism. 

What makes them linvoids is that they were both very unsettling experiences.  Not unlike what Neo felt after he took the red pill

The concept of painful reality vs comfortable illusion goes at least as far back as Socrates and the allegory of the cave....

QuoteYou will recall the wonderful image at the beginning of the seventh book of Plato's Republic: those enchained cavemen whose faces are turned toward the stone wall before them. Behind them lies the source of the light which they cannot see. They are concerned only with the shadowy images that this light throws upon the wall, and they seek to fathom their interrelations. Finally one of them succeeds in shattering his fetters, turns around, and sees the sun. Blinded, he gropes about and stammers of what he saw. The others say he is raving. But gradually he learns to behold the light, and then his task is to descend to the cavemen and to lead them to the light. He is the philosopher; the sun, however, is the truth of science, which alone seizes not upon illusions and shadows but upon the true being. - Max Weber, Science as a Vocation
To make sure that I'm clear, what separates linvoid from any other mind changes is the significant amount of discomfort which results from exchanging a tightly held belief for a new one.   Here's Socrates speaking of a released caveman/prisoner...

Quote...when any of them is liberated and compelled suddenly to stand up and turn his neck round and walk and look towards the light, he will suffer sharp pains; the glare will distress him...
If you didn't experience significant mental distress and discomfort when you changed your mind... if the transition from an old belief to a new one wasn't very unsettling... then it really wasn't a linvoid. 

The objective here isn't to debate our respective beliefs... although you're certainly welcome to do so.  The objective is to conduct a survey...

1.  How many linvoids have you experienced?
2.  What were your linvoids?
3.  Does a person's LQ mean anything?
4.  Is there a relationship between LQ and IQ?  If so, then what is it?

If you need more context, background, explanation or analysis then please see... Optimal Government Intervention

SGOS

Quote from: Xerographica on February 25, 2015, 01:50:20 AM
Is there a relationship between LQ and IQ?
Although linvoid is a new word for me, I know what you mean.  It's what I call a "knock your socks off insight that hits with a great deal of surprise.  Yes, I think there is a relationship to IQ, but it's also influenced by other things.  I think it's also a matter of rigidity.  There should also be an "RQ"  No matter how bright you are, rigidity if strong enough, can prevent you from having useful insights.  Rigidity is more related to stupidity (and should not to be confused with low IQ).

GSOgymrat

I can't think of any linvoids. I've definitely had epiphanies but I can't think of them causing me distress. This probably has something to do with the fact I'm often wrong about things.

Jason78

1. I don't keep count.
2. You want to know about all of them?
3. Probably not.
4. They both have a Q in them and they are both numbers?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

The one that sent me reeling was finding out that everything in the world we live in is not solid, and yet composed of particles that are.  :eek: :wall: :think: :confused: :neutral: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Moloth

Quote from: Solitary on February 25, 2015, 01:25:44 PM
The one that sent me reeling was finding out that everything in the world we live in is not solid, and yet composed of particles that are.  :eek: :wall: :think: :confused: :neutral: Solitary

well... the particles arent even solid.... they're just little bundles of probability.
Even IF you think of particle sint he Classical way, they're mostly (99.9999999%) empty space. If anything, solid matter is just atomic force fields.
-=The Believer is Happy; the Skeptic is Wise=-

http://www.moloth.com

PickelledEggs

I bet I can score a 100 on my IQ test.

Wait. what?

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 25, 2015, 01:56:40 PM
I bet I can score a 100 on my IQ test.

Wait. what?
Hey, that's pretty good.  I hardly ever scored 100 on anything.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2015, 02:21:39 PM
Hey, that's pretty good.  I hardly ever scored 100 on anything.
It just means average IQ, but I was trying to make it sound like it was a perfect score, which in context to the joke was supposed to make me seem like I have a lower IQ than most

Desdinova

Hey Mom!  I gotta B+ on my IQ test!
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

stromboli

I can claim one when I discovered Mormonism was crap. I also have epiphanies and I'm a lucid dreamer. Wonder if there is a relationship. And left handed. Hmmmm...... you might be onto something.

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't even try saying that the tooth fairy isn't real and I'm due for a linvoid and just for the record my spell check doesn't recognize linvoid..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Atheon

There was the time I figured out that Santa wasn't real.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca