News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

12 hour clock vs 24 hour clock

Started by leo, February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

The 24 hour clock does make more sense, but in the US people who use it are either military or weird.
This sentence is a lie...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: widdershins on January 06, 2017, 10:26:55 AM
The 24 hour clock does make more sense, but in the US people who use it are either military or weird.
Redundant.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

BettaPonic

I grew up in a military family. My dad, a navy man of 20 years, uses 24 hour clock on everything. He gets mildly annoyed whenever it is called military time.

Baruch

Quote from: BettaPonic on January 14, 2017, 09:28:23 PM
I grew up in a military family. My dad, a navy man of 20 years, uses 24 hour clock on everything. He gets mildly annoyed whenever it is called military time.

The Soviet Union was weird ... they had a 24 hour clock, but started it at noon instead of midnight ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

tanny

Cavebear

I recall a joke from many years past.  A somber news anchor reports that it is 9 pm in Washington DC, 1 am in London, and a squeaky voice comes in and says it is 9:38 in Baltimore MD...

Sorry, we Washington folks don't like Baltimore.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

But seriously, if you can't tell whether it is 4 am or 4 pm, you are in a heap of trouble...

Granted, decimal seems better.

Hydra009

Semi-related: the guys at Bible Reloaded were reviewing a movie that they expected to be 1 hour and 15 minutes long and were dismayed to learn was almost 2 hours long.  What gives?

DVD label:  "Runtime: 115 minutes"

:embarrassed:

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 20, 2017, 01:39:23 AM
Semi-related: the guys at Bible Reloaded were reviewing a movie that they expected to be 1 hour and 15 minutes long and were dismayed to learn was almost 2 hours long.  What gives?

They think the world was created in 4004 BC ; they aren't real good at measuring time.

Hydra009

The DVD was labeled correctly, the Bible Reloaded guys goofed.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 20, 2017, 01:39:23 AM

I do that to myself all the time.  I know all about 60 minutes in an hour, and have sufficient math skills, but when I see "115 minutes", I gravitate to automatically thinking a hour and a few minutes.  In fact, I had to reread your post a couple of times, just to see the error.

Cavebear

Another good reason for decimal time.