News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

12 hour clock vs 24 hour clock

Started by leo, February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 24, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Eh I prefer Imperial Standard. You can half, quater, third, etc inches and feet, unlike metric.

You can half a meter. It's called half-a-meter (or a half-meter).
But I guess it's what you're used to.
Btw, I usualy prefer 24-hour clock in talking with others and on my phone. But I like my watches and clocks in 12-hour style.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

24 hour clock.  No question what time of day you mean.

And while we're at it, do away with daylight savings.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on April 26, 2015, 03:33:31 AM
24 hour clock.  No question what time of day you mean.

And while we're at it, do away with daylight savings.
I FUCKING hat daylight savings.  What the hell does it save????  Nothing--it costs us money and productivity every time!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

missingnocchi

I'm not a fan of the decimal clock. 12 is already better than 10 as a base, why would we switch the one system we have that actually uses it?
What's a "Leppo?"

Feral Atheist

I'm retired, don't need no stinking clocks, and I especially don't need an alarm clock.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Feral Atheist on April 26, 2015, 10:51:01 AM
I'm retired, don't need no stink clocks, and I especially don't need an alarm clock.
I don't need an alarm clock either--except I have two of them, wrapped in fur.  They know when 5 am rolls around and then, so do I.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

wolf39us

I'm in the USA, I always use the 24hr clock.

the_antithesis

Feral Atheist

Quote from: wolf39us on April 27, 2015, 08:39:43 AM
I'm in the USA, I always use the 24hr clock.
Quote from: Mike Cl on April 26, 2015, 12:45:21 PM
I don't need an alarm clock either--except I have two of them, wrapped in fur.  They know when 5 am rolls around and then, so do I.
I usually have to wake my fur wrapped alarm clock up when I get up (he's almost 12) and if he has a need and gets me up with a need, he also wants to go back to bed.
In dog beers I've only had one.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Feral Atheist on April 27, 2015, 08:03:54 PM
I usually have to wake my fur wrapped alarm clock up when I get up (he's almost 12) and if he has a need and gets me up with a need, he also wants to go back to bed.
My two guys are young--2/3 yrs old, so I guess I'm stuck with the 5 am wake up call for quite some time.  I guess it doesn't help that as soon as I get up we go for our mile jaunt.

Ro3bert

Quote from: SGOS on February 24, 2015, 01:15:43 PM
It can be a quarter to four, or a quarter after four.  Some people say a quarter OF four.  But I don't know what that means.

Although I prefer the 24 hr clock and have no trouble translating back and forth.  When someone says it is "a quarter of some hour" it simply means 15minutes before the hour.

What confuses me is someone says "half 4" I have no idea whether it means half past an hour or another 30 minutes before some hour.

Baruch

You have 24 hour clocks when you are a global enterprise, like the military or a multi-national corporation.  No other way to synchronize people.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

I have no problem with either and get quite frustrated with those that can grasp it's simplicity. But I must admit I get more annoyed at people that cannot understand the equal simplicity of using the clock for directions..."check out that shit at 8:30.....wut?....really dude?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on November 13, 2016, 10:14:49 PM
I have no problem with either and get quite frustrated with those that can grasp it's simplicity. But I must admit I get more annoyed at people that cannot understand the equal simplicity of using the clock for directions..."check out that shit at 8:30.....wut?....really dude?
https://youtu.be/rUHZZwuybiY?t=19s

(Indiana jones plane dogfighting o'clock joke)