News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

12 hour clock vs 24 hour clock

Started by leo, February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

I prefer 24 hour time. I use it on all my personal time keeping devices. Though, I translate it without a thought when speaking to nasty ass civilians in situations where 24 hour time is not expected.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 24, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Eh I prefer Imperial Standard. You can half, quater, third, etc inches and feet, unlike metric.

It can be a quarter to four, or a quarter after four.  Some people say a quarter OF four.  But I don't know what that means.

Hydra009

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 24, 2015, 12:40:51 PMEh I prefer Imperial Standard. You can half, quater, third, etc inches and feet, unlike metric.
It's still all over the map.  12 inches in a foot.  3 feet in a yard.  1760 yards in a mile.  And that's just distance.  Let's face it, if this wasn't a system we were born into, it'd never make sense.  Hell, I've been using it all my life and it still seems pretty screwy.

Hydra009

And while we're at it, I propose abolishing commas in large numbers.  Use spaces or use scientific notion or GTFO.

1000000 = 1 000 000 = 10^6

Solitary

Metric is so much better it's ridiculous that we don't use it everywhere. I had a Fiat (metric) and a Pontiac I needed screws for of different sized, It took me about 15 minutes to find the right ones for the Pontiac, and just a glance to find the metrics, and the display was 4 times bigger trying to find the ones for the Pontiac. And 24hr time is better if you are a moll.  :eek: :biggrin:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

leo

It doesn't make  much sense to divide the day in 2 periods of 12 hours. There is 24 hours in a day.  So   counting the hours in the 24 hour format makes the most sense. The ancient romans and jews counted the hours in 2 periods of 12 hours from sunset to sunset. But it was very inaccurate because the sunset hour change during the year. The sunset is  later in the summer .The sunset is earlier in  the last months of the year .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2015, 01:57:53 PM
It's still all over the map.  12 inches in a foot.  3 feet in a yard.  1760 yards in a mile.  And that's just distance.  Let's face it, if this wasn't a system we were born into, it'd never make sense.  Hell, I've been using it all my life and it still seems pretty screwy.

I'm not saying it's always better to use imperial standard, just that I prefer using it. WHY CAN'T YOU LET ME MAKE THINGS HARD FOR MYSELF???? lol

Hydra009

Quote from: leo on February 24, 2015, 02:50:49 PM
It doesn't make  much sense to divide the day in 2 periods of 12 hours. There is 24 hours in a day.  So   counting the hours in the 24 hour format makes the most sense. The ancient romans and jews counted the hours in 2 periods of 12 hours from sunset to sunset. But it was very inaccurate because the sunset hour change during the year. The sunset is  later in the summer .The sunset is earlier in  the last months of the year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

kilodelta

Well fuck. I guess I'm now for the use of decimal time.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

leo

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 24, 2015, 12:40:51 PM
Eh I prefer Imperial Standard. You can half, quater, third, etc inches and feet, unlike metric.
So you prefer the 12 hour or the 24 hour  clock?

leo

Ro3bert

Quote from: leo on February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM
I prefer the 24 hour clock ( in the USA is often know as the military clock). Do you guys  prefer the 12 hour clock or the 24 hour clock?  The 24 hour clock is the best.

I prefer the 24 hour system having spent 13 years in the military. I set all my clocks to the 24 hour system (except those antique clocks that cannot be reset) and have no problem switching back and forth between them so if I am dealing with most people I use the 12 hour clock (obviously I live in the US).

Robert

AllPurposeAtheist

Either is fine for me except when my brain suddenly can't subtract 12 for reasons unknown.. I've always wondered why the clock can't be metric with 10 hours, 100 minutes,  100 seconds,  etc.. I  once designed and made such a face for a clock,  but  the movements are all designed for 12 and 24..the second hand never landed on the right indices.. Perhaps I should have used a continual movement..
Wwll duh..just saw the decimal clock.. We need decimal threads so I don't have to click on the next page..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

I can't sleep with the ticking of a 12 hour regular clock, and it's easier to instantly recognize the time in the morning.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Green Bottle

I use the 24 hour  clock   on my phone for instance when setting the alarm or alerts but if im meeting my pal at 14.00 hours ill say, meet me at 2 etc......
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''