News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

12 hour clock vs 24 hour clock

Started by leo, February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leo

I prefer the 24 hour clock ( in the USA is often know as the military clock). Do you guys  prefer the 12 hour clock or the 24 hour clock?  The 24 hour clock is the best.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

hrdlr110

I prefer the mistake free 24hr clock too.
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

_Xenu_

I used to use the 24 hour style when I was younger, but somehow slipped out of it.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Mike Cl

I prefer the 24 hr. clock too.  And I prefer no daylight savings, too.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I use the 12 hour clock because that's what everyone else uses.  When you tell a woman you will pick her up for a date at "1900 hours", it will weird her out, and you don't want to weird a woman out, especially on a first date.  But the 24 hour clock is superior, and has several advantages. 

It's less confusing; Think about setting the alarm on your phone.  How many times have you set the hour and the minute, but forgot to do the AM/PM part because you assumed it was set to AM?

It is a bit more useful for computer programming tasks, which granted, does not affect a lot of people.

Who ever thought up the 12 hour concept didn't think it all the way through.  Why would you have the same designation for two totally different times every day?  Sure, you can go through the extra step of designating AM or PM, but that's not very mathematically elegant.

leo

I agree . The 24 hour clock is less confusing. There isn't any confussion for example with 7 am vs 7 pm. The hours after 18:00 are night hours . The first 6 hours of the day are part of the night hours. Most people in the USA aren't used with the 24 hour system. I always set my casio g shock watches with the 24 hour display.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

GSOgymrat

The 24 hour clock is better, as is the metric system.

stromboli

I'm good with either. Liked the 24 hour clock in the Navy, but trying to explain it to people who don't use it is not worth the effort, so I generally refer to civilian time when asked. Zulu time? forget about it.  :naughty:

Atheon

I prefer the 12-hour clock, as it's what I was immersed in growing up in the US and am surrounded by in the American-English speaking part of the world.

Here in Taiwan people use the 12-hour clock when speaking, but in print and written form (business hours, showtimes, appointment times etc.) times are invariably written in the 24-hour form. I hate having to "do the math" each time (simple though it may be) to translate it into the 12-hour form I'm used to. It sucks when I misread 15:00 as 5:00 pm.

It's worse in Thailand: they have a 6-hour clock with 4 time periods in the day. 8:00 p.m. is song thum--"two thumps (of the dharma drum)"--recalling the timing system used by monks.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

24 hour.

I like clock faces, infact I've got an intrest in steampunk design, gears and clock designs.. but in terms of practically, a 24 hour digital clock has never failed me, and it doesn't tick either.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 24, 2015, 09:17:20 AMThe 24 hour clock is better, as is the metric system.
Emphatically agreed.  And yes, no DST.  Mistake-free scheduling plus sane units and measurements would be so nice.  I'm so sick of mixed units in the US.

stromboli

Quote from: Munch on February 24, 2015, 10:03:21 AM
24 hour.

I like clock faces, infact I've got an intrest in steampunk design, gears and clock designs.. but in terms of practically, a 24 hour digital clock has never failed me, and it doesn't tick either.

Totally agree. even old me thinks Steampunk is awesome.

Gawdzilla Sama

Twenty years in the USN, sometimes I never saw the sky for days at a time. Without military time I couldn't tell if I was missing a sunny day or a starry night.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 24, 2015, 12:09:02 PM
Twenty years in the USN, sometimes I never saw the sky for days at a time. Without military time I couldn't tell if I was missing a sunny day or a starry night.

Sounds like a Machinist.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 24, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
The 24 hour clock is better, as is the metric system.
Eh I prefer Imperial Standard. You can half, quater, third, etc inches and feet, unlike metric.