News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

12 hour clock vs 24 hour clock

Started by leo, February 24, 2015, 07:32:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

12-hour. With a 24-hour clock, I always have to do the math.

I even missed a flight once because I saw 18:00 and thought 8:00.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on November 13, 2016, 10:47:46 PMWith a 24-hour clock, I always have to do the math.
Only if you've internalized the 12-hour clock and have to convert the 24-hour time to 12-hour format to understand it.  When you've internalized a 24-hour clock, you no longer need to convert unless someone else is supplying 12-hour times.

Gawdzilla Sama

Didn't take me long to adapt to the military time-keeping system, I just had to remember to add 13.

Or was it subtract 13?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

24 hour clocks are more logical to me.  We are used to 12, and it seems logical to have 3:30 happen twice a day, but it's hardly logical at all, and it's cumbersome.  3:30 in the afternoon or at night?  Easy fix, just add AM or PM to the time, but why add extra data just to make a cumbersome system more cumbersome to be useable.  And another thing that confuses me on a 12 hour clock is what time is it when it's exactly 12:00 oclock?  Is it AM or PM?  I usually think 12:00 AM means midnight, but it could just as easily be afternoon.  Because the natue of 12:00 is actually a state of transition.   The 24 hour clock dispenses with these trivial but awkward details.

When I worked for the Forest Service, we worked on a 24 hour clock, and when we worked around the clock, as in fighting fire, the 24 hour clock added a level of clarity that eventually became more apparent with use.

wolf39us

I didn't used to, but after working as a medical transcriptionist for an xray / ultrasound company, I've grown to love the 24hr clock.  We were NOT allowed to make "time" mistakes and could easily be fired for HIPAA violations for incorrect time stamps.

24 Hour really is just a "better" clock.  My phone, car, computer etc all are in 24hr time.  I live in the USA

Edit:  I just realized that I've already responded to this thread on page 3.  Had no clue this was a necro'd thread!

Mr.Obvious

12 hour clock for my watch
24 hour clock for anything usefull
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Johan

My devices are all configured to 24 hour.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

viocjit

I'm French. In Western Europe (Except in UK. Some geographers consider UK in Northern Europe. I haven't opinion about the localisation of this place) we user 24 hour clock system therefore I'm using it as most people do.
I have another reason to use it. This system is more accurate. If you use 12 hour clock without "am and pm". It became complicate to use on a text. Of course if you say to anyone in the street "What time is it ?" 12 hour clock is accurate.

Cavebear

Since I can generally tell whether it is AM or PM (and I mean generally, I have been confused on a few late nights) I like the 12 hour clock. 

The idea of 13 o'clock vaguely bothers me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on November 17, 2016, 06:59:37 AM
Since I can generally tell whether it is AM or PM (and I mean generally, I have been confused on a few late nights) I like the 12 hour clock. 

The idea of 13 o'clock vaguely bothers me.
Try this:

2:33 PM (no, wait, it was AM. Or maybe not, maybe it WAS PM and I just forgot. Anyway, it was "2:something sometime."

vs.

14:33

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Why not the 10 hour clock with 100 minutes per hour,  100 seconds per minute?  Why? It makes sense so it's prohibited.
After all, it was a French idea and everyone knows the French are weird.
And for those still stuck on 24 hour time it has a built in confusion. Which dial means what?  See how easy this is ?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

All time divisions are arbitrary. Habituation, on the other hand, is set in stone. On the griping hand if things get bad enough anybody can learn a new system.
PZ Myers

Baruch

2*12 hours ... 60 mins per hour, 60 sec per min ... Babylonian that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

viocjit

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 17, 2016, 11:38:36 AM
Why not the 10 hour clock with 100 minutes per hour,  100 seconds per minute?  Why? It makes sense so it's prohibited.
After all, it was a French idea and everyone knows the French are weird.
And for those still stuck on 24 hour time it has a built in confusion. Which dial means what?  See how easy this is ?

Thanks for this discovery. I did never knew the existence of this weird clock system even if I'm French.

For those who are lost with AM and PM. Do you know AM and PM are abbreviations in Latin language ?
AM = ante meridiem (Before noonday , Before midday)
PM = post meridiem (After noonday , After midday)

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers